Author Topic: Ratcliffe  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Annie2Cats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ratcliffe
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on the Ratcliffe family of Alton, Staffordshire - any information gratefully received, thanks  :)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ratcliffe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Annie

As with your Oldham family post, can you supply just a few more details for researchers to work with?

Thanks

BB

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Just using "Ratcliffe" and "Alton" there are 222 entries in baptisms, burials and marriages from the early 1700's.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie2cats.
My maiden name was Ratcliffe and I was born in Alton, as were almost all my ancestors.  Let me have a few more details about which Ratcliffe family you're looking for and I'll be able to give you more information.  I've researched all the local Ratcliffe families
cheers
Aitch :)
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline Annie2Cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 February 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aitch,
Thanks for responding.  My grandfather was Jesse Ratcliffe (1889-1959), he married Selina Elizabeth Smith (1903-1992), her mother was Sarah Jane Oldham (1870-1940).  I would be interested to find out anything about Sarah’s first husband Thomas Collis who died in 1906. Which part of the Ratcliffe clan are you from?

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I know the family.  Jesse farmed at Paradise later in life didn't he? I think after his mother died he and two of his brothers and sister went to live at Nabb farm with his Uncle James and Aunt Mary.   
When I was growing up in the village your granddad's sister Margaret lived next door to me.  I remember her well :)

Our families are linked, though the link is a fair way back.   We share a common ancestor in Thomas Ratcliffe, born in 1705 in Cauldon.  He is great, great, great, great, great grandfather to both of us :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything of Selina's history.  Oldham doesn't sound like a Moorlands name, so I assume they came into the area from elsewhere?  There were a few Collis families around though.  Did Thomas die in Alton??
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline Annie2Cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes you have all the details, I live at Paradise Farm now.  Dad liked his aunt Margaret, she bought him a clock as a wedding present and I have it now. I have Thomas in my family tree - which branch are you?

Thomas died in Winnothdale, his family seem to have lived in the Freehay area.

You are right, the Oldham family originally came from Warwickshire, they settled in Hollington and also the Potteries.

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I descend through Thomas' son William (1741-1813) & Sarah (Dakin), their son George (1785-1870) & Mary Richardson, their son William (1824-1898) & Julia Robinson, their daughter Ada (1865-1947).  Her illegitimate son Eddie Ratcliffe was my grandad.
You might know my Mum Mary Ratcliffe then - She's 91 and lives on Knight Lane?  Margaret Ratcliffe crocheted a pram blanket for my son in 1988 when she must have been 90 - my 4 month old grandaughter has just inherited it! :)

Offline Annie2Cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Are you Hazel? If so, we have been in touch before via the Alton Facebook page!  I don’t know your mum but my dad was born in 1926 and they went to school together, he and my mum both remember her.  How lovely that you still have aunt Margaret’s crochet blanket and that it is still being put to good use, I will tell Dad when I see him next.