Author Topic: Army  (Read 722 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Army
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
My father William O'Brien was born in Dublin 1922 there was a story ( bound to be a rubbish family story) that he was in the English army but deserted and his twin brother Peter allowed himself  to be arrested until William came to the Uk
How can I go find out if there is any truth in this in1947 he was in the UK but no idea how long he had been here   
Thank you

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
If true, he would have been in the British Army! ;D

Service Records for any personnel serving after 1920 are still with the MOD (Ministry of Defence) - they are not online anywhere.

You can apply for his Service Record here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

There is a fee of £30, and you'll need his death certificate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
As he went to the UK, which I think would be the last place a British Army deserter would go, I think that should read Irish Army.
The Military Archives might be able to help
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/en/home/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
I wonder was he one of the men who deserted the Irish Army to fight in WWII with the British Army, they were pardoned a few years ago, I don't know if their names were published.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Oops British/Irish army ? Mmm I don't know what to think so if I applied for records only being able to supply Birth death certificates they could see if he belonged to them.
I can't think he was a paid up
Member of the British army as he used to sing a lot of rebel songs if you get my drift, but it's said Peter was in the glass house  which I believe is the terminology for a prison in the army until william got away.
 If you run away  and you don't go to America I suppose  you could get lost in the UK
 Thank you for the reply I think I have to pay my money and see the results