Author Topic: 1641 Protestation Returns - Kingsclere & 1723 Oaths of Allegiance for Hampshire  (Read 1313 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can anyone point me to anywhere the list of signatories might be online for either or both of these ?

Kingsclere seems to be one of the few places in Hants that the Protestation Returns survive for.  The family name there of interest is STACY/STACIE

For the 1723 Oaths I'm interested in Andover and the family names HUNT and NORRIS (spelt a myriad of ways).

Thanks in advance.

Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1641 Protestation Returns - Kingsclere & 1723 Oaths of Allegiance for Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong, but I don’t think either resource is online for Hampshire.

The 1641 Protestation Returns are in the House of Lords library, aka the Parliamentary Archives. According to the breakdown showing on Discovery, Kingsclere doesn’t feature ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/799338e0-1078-462b-a441-58e3af13931b
... but if you have evidence to the contrary you may want to email the archive and ask.
archives AT parliament.uk

The 1723 Oath roll is at the Hampshire Record Office, but doesn’t seem to include Andover. Breakdown of the contents here, courtesy of the record office ...
http://www.historyworkingpapers.org/?page_id=373#pHc
Again, perhaps email the record office to check?

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1641 Protestation Returns - Kingsclere & 1723 Oaths of Allegiance for Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox

I got the Kingsclere Protestation Returns info from the reference book "The Protestation Returns, 1641-1642, and Other Contemporary Listings" By Jeremy Sumner Wycherley Gibson, Alan Dell, the relevant page can be seen here which now I reread it I see I was mis-reading it and they are tax records from 1641  :-[  ...that'll teach me to go to the bookshelf and read my copy of the book rather than Googling from the kitchen...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WO9pBg1mPtQC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=protestation+returns+kingsclere&source=bl&ots=Jvpifo-9_g&sig=kIM_haXZbDgJCBeh6nxeUdXOk0c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8hKX1pvDVAhXBK8AKHbWSAEUQ6AEIPDAD#v=onepage&q=protestation%20returns%20kingsclere&f=false

I have previously ordered some digital photographs from the Parliamentary archives of returns for other areas but those I knew would have the names on (I also have an original copy of the book of complete returns for Co. Durham which proved rather useful).

I've had a search on the Hampshire archives online catalogue and there's nothing specific to 1641 and a subsidy as the book lists... a couple of items without exact dates or mention of what the tax is about... will need more digging.  Could be something relating to a subsidy for the"relief of Northern parts" which have found some references to (aid to Irish refugee Protestants).

The 1723 oaths was very much a punt.  Looking at that list I'd agree doesn't look likely any of my Andover family are on it  ::)  Always interesting to dig out another possible source though and understand what it might deliver.
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire