Author Topic: Edward Jones c1837 Dudley  (Read 3307 times)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones c1837 Dudley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 August 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
hi Cati & Willow,
thanks so much for you suggestions I have taken both these suggestions into account I have come across these names before and have them in my research folder as I didn't think they fitted but haven't ruled them out completely. [you know how it is]

according to Edwards marriage certificate his father John Jones was a farm Bailiff which I understand to be same as a Grieve in Scotland a kind of farm manager....I cant see him being a weaver?....besides that his mother [johns jones wife] was called Doyannah Quinlain or Quinton its difficult to read I posted that on here a few years ago to see if anyone could recognise/read the name. we thought maybe Diana spoke with a 'strong Irish type brogue', Ive found a couple of john jones and wifes are Dianna but no Edward ...I'll keep trying..thanks very much for taking the time to look its very much appreciated
Caithness/Sutherland;-Mackay/Mckay, Manson, Scott, Fraser,
Ayrshire;-Hood, McCrone, McCallum, Dunlop
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks
Glenbervie,Kincardine;-Officer

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 August 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Ah, now if we'd known about the farm bailiff from the outset, things might have been rather different.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 August 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
Ah, now if we'd known about the farm bailiff from the outset, things might have been rather different.

Cati
sorry Cati I was trying to get as much info in my post as possible without making it too long...I really thought I had John Jones occupation as I know this helps in the search...I feel terrible I forgot to say about the farm bailiff I feel Ive wasted your time looking...I do apologise profusely!
thanks again for your time .
regards
sofee
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 August 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
So where was Edward Jones married? English marriage certificates don't usually include the mothers details

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 August 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
So where was Edward Jones married? English marriage certificates don't usually include the mothers details

Willow x
Hi Willow....Edward Jones Married Margret Sutherland in Leith Midlothian Scotland they were married
7 Jan 1859 • Evan Union, Church Leith, Co Edinburgh. I have a copy...fathers name is John Jones Farm bailiff mother ? looks like Doyannah Quinlain?or Quinton etc cant find her anywhere . Edward was in the royal artillery first he was a shown as shoe smith then got promoted up to serjeant Farrier. he was poster Kent,Ireland,Bangalore,Burma etc...finding his birth record or a 1841 census with his parents would give me a positive name for his mum...ive been looking on and off for 8yrs just started looking again .
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sofee

Sorry I have taken a while to get back to you I was away over the weekend. I'm guessing that you also have some information from somewhere that Edward was born in Shropshire/Shrewsbury

There is this interesting one on the 1841 census

Johns Row Shrewsbury all born in county

Susanna Jones 65
Elizabeth Jones 25
William Jones 10
Ann Jones 5
Edward Jones 5

HO107/927/10

Susanna is too old to be the mother of Edward but I wonder if there maybe a connection

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sofee

Sorry I have taken a while to get back to you I was away over the weekend. I'm guessing that you also have some information from somewhere that Edward was born in Shropshire/Shrewsbury

There is this interesting one on the 1841 census

Johns Row Shrewsbury all born in county

Susanna Jones 65
Elizabeth Jones 25
William Jones 10
Ann Jones 5
Edward Jones 5

HO107/927/10

Susanna is too old to be the mother of Edward but I wonder if there maybe a connection

Willow x
Hi Willow
Hope you enjoyed your weekend break....about 8 years ago I had email contact with a distant relative who had the remains id Edward Jones wee army record book but it was tattered and torn and little bits were missing however he could make out Edward Jones was born 1837 Dudley. and fathers name was John Jones and a couple of Edwards childrens names. since then I found his marriage cert,  his at least 6 children's births. I've  got his wife and family returned to  Scotland and in the 1891 & 1901 census.

Ive found an Edward that fits as I said before in 1851 census hes living with his uncle Edward Jones who is a blacksmith the nephew Edward was his apprentice in the town of Dudley, st James parish my Edward is marked on this census as born Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.  hes the nearest Ive found in 8 years lol
sofee
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Found some bits as I have been looking around off Ancestry and FindMyPast

his army number was 1486 with the Royal Artillery and he should be based at Fort Leith on in 1861 but I cant find him on the census he died 23.6.1879 and his son Edward was baptised in Leith in 1860 and he is with his grandparents Sutherland

I will keep looking

Willow x

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
Found some bits as I have been looking around off Ancestry and FindMyPast

his army number was 1486 with the Royal Artillery and he should be based at Fort Leith on in 1861 but I cant find him on the census he died 23.6.1879 and his son Edward was baptised in Leith in 1860 and he is with his grandparents Sutherland

I will keep looking

Willow x
hi willow
 thanks I have two army numbers for him the more recent one being 5562 and former one 1486 I also have two different years for death lol both on army records one 23/6/79 the other 23/6/78 . I have these documents on my ancestry account ive pm'd the link to his profile which will show what ive got.
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks