Author Topic: Fergussons of Finnart / Gillilands and Forsythes of Antrim  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fergussons of Finnart / Gillilands and Forsythes of Antrim
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’m trying to find some more information about some of my relatives who originally hailed from Ayrshire in the 17th and 18th centuries.  Mainly I am hoping to find some dates for the Fergusson family of Finnart, so I can try to make sense of the timeline. 

Here’s a bit more detail on the stuff I’m researching:

1.   Willy Gilliland was immortalised in the eponymous poem by his descendant Sir Samuel Ferguson.  This poem said he fled Scotland after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge in 1679.  In PRONI, I have seen a 1923 copy of a letter written in 1825 which suggests that William may in fact have been John and that “having been a man in consequence in Scotland he was followed by a King’s messenger”.  According to the letter he emigrated from Scotland in either 1636 or 1686.  A third source (History of Ayr) refers to Gilliland leaving his home in Dundonald during the reign of Charles I (which would fit the 1636 date).  By most accounts, Gilliland had one son who settled at Collin (John?) and another who settled at Tildarg (William), both in the parish of Rashee in County Antrim.

2.   The PRONI papers say Gilliland’s son John Gilliland of the Collin in County Antrim married Ellen, daughter of Thomas Fergusson of the Finnart, Ayrshire (born c1621).  According to the History of Ayr, Thomas Fergusson was forced to leave Scotland and go into hiding in County Antrim after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge.  Apparently he found shelter with Gilleland of Collin, “whose grandfather had himself been forced, in the preceding reign, to flee from his property in the neighbourhood of Dundonald.”  After the Revolution (1688-89, presumably) one of Fergusson’s daughters married Gilleland’s eldest son, i.e. the great grandson of Gilliland of Dundonald (which puts back their arrival in County Antrim to well before the Battle of Bothwell Bridge).

3.   A great granddaughter of Thomas Fergusson of Finnart, Mary Fergusson, married a John Forsythe of Belliston (Ballyeaston) in County Antrim.  I believe this is the John Forsythe of nearby Ballynure who wrote his will in 1798 and probably died in about 1802 (his will names his wife Mary Ferguson, and a Ferguson Kennedy of Finnart as his executor).  Their daughter Mary Forsythe married her 1st cousin David Kennedy who inherited the Fergusson estate of Finnart from his uncle Robert Fergusson who died in 1796.  The Forsythes of Ballynure were also connected by two or three marriages to the Gillilands.  Sarah Gilliland, daughter of William Gilliland of the Collin, married (another) John Forsythe of Ballynure and their daughter Mary Forsythe married James Owens of Holestone (whose family had inherited their estate from the Gillilands) – it was Sarah who wrote the abovementioned letter in 1825 (she lived till 1832).

I’m not overly familiar with Scottish records, so basic advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fergussons of Finnart / Gillilands and Forsythes of Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
I thought I’d maybe post more about what little I know of this Fergusson family (my main source is the “History of the County of Ayr” by James Paterson, 1847).  Basically, I want to add more dates and if possible find further evidence of the family’s links to County Antrim.

(Finnart was near the mouth of Loch Ryan, where the ferries now go by.  It was close to the southern edge of the parish of Ballantrae.)

1. Thomas FERGUSSON was aged 61 in 1682 when he fled to Antrim.  He returned to Finnart in about 1689.

2. Ellen FERGUSSON married John Gilliland of Collin, Co. Antrim (he died in about 1730 I think)
  2. Hugh FERGUSSON married Janet KENNEDY

3. David FERGUSSON married his cousin Mary KENNEDY

4. Robert FERGUSSON, died unmarried in 1796, leaving Finnart to his nephew David KENNEDY
      4. Mary FERGUSSON married John FORSYTHE of Ballyeaston, Co. Antrim (he died in about 1802 I think)
      4. Agnes FERGUSSON married her cousin Hugh KENNEDY of Bennane (he died in 1818)

5. David FERGUSSON-KENNEDY (died between 1806 and 1818) married his cousin Mary FORSYTHE

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Finard/Finnard was the port (Finnard Bay), Finnart was where Port Glasgow lays which is in Renfrewshire on the Clyde.

NLS Maps http://maps.nls.uk will help you.  Suggest the County Maps.

The OPR's may also help not sure given your broad timeline.  Surviving Ballantrae records begin 1730's.  Death/Burial records are scarce. 

You can access these from Scotland's People who hold the originals https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  It is a pay for you site but you can search the OPR's for free.  Just make sure you select the Parish name from the drop-down box.

The NRS has Will of Robert Fergusson, their only reference of being in Finnard.  You can contact them with file Number and they can quote you on acquiring a copy. http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx select SEARCH enter Finnard.

File: GD60/151
Last Will of Robert Fergusson of Finnard, bequeathing half the sum of £100 secured to his executors by the disposition in GD60/148 to his natural daughter Charlotte Fergusson, spouse of Archibald Harswall, in Korlefing, and the other half, with his household furniture etc., to his sister Janet Fergusson spouse of Robert Glasgow, at Finnard
13 Apr 1793

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
I think the Finnart the Fergussons had was the one beside Finnard Bay.  In the “State and Sufferings of the Church of Scotland” the property is described as being “in the parish of Ballantree, upon the borders of Galloway”.  I didn’t know there was a Finnart up in Port Glasgow too – that would explain all the references to Greenock I came across when I was first looking.

Thanks very much to the link to the NRS site – I did not know about it.  I have spent some trying playing with various search words and have got dozens of relevant abstracts going back to the 1650s.

Do you know how much it typically costs to get a copy of the records?  I’m assuming it’ll be enough to make me need to choose carefully which records I order.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Cost is a variable based on the documents location in the archive, its condition, number of pages and even postage.  The least amount I have paid was £15 and the most £65 which is why you make an email enquiry and they will advise you the cost.   

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I’ve been working on the Forsythe family of Ballynure (County Antrim)…

John Forsythe (“the elder”) of Ballynure married Mary Fergusson, daughter of David Fergusson of Finnart and Mary Kennedy of Bennane.  I believe this was John’s second marriage, and ideally I’d like to find the date – but no luck yet on Scotlandspeople or the NRS website.

Failing that, I want to establish the ages of his children by the second marriage, but other than a couple of marriages and subsequent births I’ve not been able to trace them further in Scotland…

John FORSYTHE (c1709-c1800) married Mary FERGUSSON
  -   Anna FORSYTHE married (c1792) Alexander McKIE of Stranraer
                      -- John McKIE (1793-)
                      -- David Forsythe McKIE (1794-)
                      -- Mary McKIE (1796-)
                      -- Elizabeth McKIE (1798-)
                      -- Margaret McKIE (1805-)
  -   Mary FORSYTHE married (c1798) David FERGUSSON-KENNEDY of Finnart (who d. 1806)
                      -- Hugh FERGUSSON-KENNEDY (1801-)
                      -- Agnes KENNEDY (1803-1807)
  -   Margaret FORSYTHE married (1798) Thomas KERR of Stranraer
  -   David FORSYTHE

I’m trying to find anything that will give me an approx. birth date for the three daughters.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 October 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 October 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I’ve been working on the Forsythe family of Ballynure (County Antrim)…

John Forsythe (“the elder”) of Ballynure married Mary Fergusson, daughter of David Fergusson of Finnart and Mary Kennedy of Bennane.  I believe this was John’s second marriage, and ideally I’d like to find the date – but no luck yet on Scotlandspeople or the NRS website.

Failing that, I want to establish the ages of his children by the second marriage, but other than a couple of marriages and subsequent births I’ve not been able to trace them further in Scotland…

John FORSYTHE (c1709-c1800) married Mary FERGUSSON
  -   Anna FORSYTHE married (c1792) Alexander McKIE of Stranraer
                      -- John McKIE (1793-)
                      -- David Forsythe McKIE (1794-)
                      -- Mary McKIE (1796-)
                      -- Elizabeth McKIE (1798-)
                      -- Margaret McKIE (1805-)
  -   Mary FORSYTHE married (c1798) David FERGUSSON-KENNEDY of Finnart (who d. 1806)
                      -- Hugh FERGUSSON-KENNEDY (1801-)
                      -- Agnes KENNEDY (1803-1807)
  -   Margaret FORSYTHE married (1798) Thomas KERR of Stranraer
  -   David FORSYTHE

I’m trying to find anything that will give me an approx. birth date for the three daughters.

Possibly the Pedigree of Miss Paterson has dates??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I think the Finnart the Fergussons had was the one beside Finnard Bay.  In the “State and Sufferings of the Church of Scotland” the property is described as being “in the parish of Ballantree, upon the borders of Galloway”.  I didn’t know there was a Finnart up in Port Glasgow too – that would explain all the references to Greenock I came across when I was first looking.

Thanks very much to the link to the NRS site – I did not know about it.  I have spent some trying playing with various search words and have got dozens of relevant abstracts going back to the 1650s.

Do you know how much it typically costs to get a copy of the records?  I’m assuming it’ll be enough to make me need to choose carefully which records I order.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.