Author Topic: Help finding information on my great great grandmother - Emily or Emma Williams  (Read 1672 times)

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am trying to find out more info on my great great grandmother, Emma or Emily Jane Harriet Williams.

Emma/Emily was 99 when she died and I have her death certificate. She died 1957 in Willesden, Middlesex. I also have Emma/Emily on the 91,01 and 11 census. She is recorded as Emily Williams on each and on the 11 census shows as being married to my great great grandad Thomas Williams for 30 years. Needless to say, I can't find any sort of marriage certificate for them. Emma/Emily was showing as being born in Reading, Berkshire on each census return.

A long story short, my great great grandad Thomas was actually Thomas Challis, not Williams. Thomas was originally married to Mary Lambden (died 1890) but then shows on the 91,01 and 11 census as Williams. From this, I have assumed that they used Emily's surname but I have no idea or evidence to why they did this.

Based on all the above, all I know is that Emma/Emily was born approx 25 Nov 1857 (from 1939 register) and was from Reading.

Can anyone suggest how I can try to find out more on Emma/Emily? Many thanks in advance :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding information on my great great grandmother - Emily or Emma Williams
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi cannot locate as Williams for Emma but seeing that exact birth date gives me a possible birth of an Emma Jane HADLEY Pocock Dec qtr 1857 Reading 2c 322 no mothers maiden name on GRO Index?

This is only a possible!
Keyboard86

EDIT Ignore this lady as she marries 1879 Reading
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding information on my great great grandmother - Emily or Emma Williams
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hmmm I wouldn't necessarily assume her name was Williams but it is a bit of a mystery.

Have you got the marriage for Thomas Challis?  Maybe his mother was a Williams.

Does Thomas appear as Challis on census with wife Mary before he was with Emma/Emily? 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Are all the children from the first marriage - Albert for example 11 months in 1891 - is his birth under Challis? 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hmmm I wouldn't necessarily assume her name was Williams but it is a bit of a mystery.

Have you got the marriage for Thomas Challis?  Maybe his mother was a Williams.

Does Thomas appear as Challis on census with wife Mary before he was with Emma/Emily?

I do. Thomas married Mary Lambden in Reading, Berkshire 1977. His father was John Challis and mother Caroline Snell.

Yep, on the 81 as Challis. All kids recorded as Challis :/ Mary died in 1890

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks - any children with Emily? 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Are all the children from the first marriage - Albert for example 11 months in 1891 - is his birth under Challis?

Thomas and his first wife Mary had
Mary Challis - born 1877 - Berkshire
William Challis (my great grandad) - born 1879 - Berkshire
Ellen Challis - born 1882 - Fulham
Thomas Challis - born 1884 - Fulham
Henry George Challis - born 1886
John Challis - born 1887 - Fulham

Offline markcafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks - any children with Emily?

The only possible one that I can see is a record for a Albert Victor Challis Williams born approx 1890. I can't see a birth record, but there is a death in 1984. The death cert shows father as Thomas Williams and mother as Emily Wiliams.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Albert isn't on the next census as an 11 year old so where did he go I wonder.
Pick - Frocester Glos