Author Topic: Unacknowledged Copying  (Read 6431 times)

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unacknowledged Copying
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
My family tree is public, but if someone  wishes theirs to be private they have the right to do so.
I did get sometime ago a message saying I had got an ancestor married to the wrong person and therefore my descendents were wrong.  Meaning?  I am not who I am then?? :o
My tree goes back to 1605 and every bit of info has been double or triple checked and everything fits in nicely to the jigsaw puzzle right up to present day.

I have never looked at other peoples trees, because I like to collect info by myself or ask questions on the Forum.  I can understand why some people keep theirs private and thats their prerogative.

Steve

Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 September 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
I haven't got my tree on Ancestry but others who have shared ancestors have their trees on Ancestry including information that they got from me in the first place.  There's nothing I can do about it, and also the fact that numerous trees - that I can't find any connection to - have my g.grandfather and a couple who they have as his parents.  Now I can't find my g.grandfather's beginnings but what I do know is that he was not the son of the couple shown on Ancestry.  I was in touch some time ago with a genuine ancestor of this couple and he knows that his ancestor with the same name, is not my g.grandfather.  It makes no difference, people will put on Ancestry what they want to, also because it's default is America, I've got ancestors on other peoples' trees who have been born/lived/died in USA even though none of them ever left England

Sometimes that can be quite amusing - and if you keep an eye on the original, pretty obvious mistake, you can watch as it gets copied by person after person and spreads through Ancestry. Sometime in the dim distant past, someone came up with a family of 6 children born in a village in Essex. One was real and his name is in the register but the other 5 aren't there and the years when they were supposed to be born, during the Civil War and after, no records were kept at all. It's easy enough to look at Essex registers online and I went through the whole volume with a fine tooth comb just in case  the family were noted down elsewhere as a group as sometimes happens - I even tried to trace the supposed children's lives - any marriages, children, deaths,  but they just didn't exist. As you say people just make up bits, shoehorn the right/similar names into their tree and form the most bizarre and unlikely "relationships" I've even seen men recorded as fathering their own fathers on a couple of occasions.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 September 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
My friend informed me last week a member of her family had researched the family history and has got back to 1690. They have not bought one certificate or visited any Archives, but managed this in less then a couple of weeks.  ::) and guess where they have copied it all from!
The trouble is genealogy is "fashionable" so half the people are not interested in proper research they just want to have something to show off.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Its a metaphor for life after the internet, isn't it?

The words 'hell' and 'handcart' spring to mind.  ::) ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 September 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
I prefer to do my own finding out and searching, but from time to time I'll browse specific individuals on other Ancestry trees, and several times I've found what seem to me to be glaring errors - my great grandmother assigned a different husband, and a few extra children ... and that tree built on from one of the "extras" - Sorry, no. Not that lady! A man mixed up with his cousin, my direct ancestor, with a very similar first name and the same surname, and of course the wrong family assigned, via, I thought at first, careless research, until I saw several other trees copying the same error.
I contacted the people with these trees, even pointing out how the two families had become confused, and separating out the confused lines for them, adding certificate details and a parallel run of census references in two cases that should have shown how a little more care in matching details would have made it obvious they were on the wrong branch ... but in most cases they happily continued sawing it off behind themselves, and the errors remained on show.
It compounds the innocent errors when people simply disregard through laziness the effort of revising their "own" research and findings.
On the two occasions people have kindly pointed out that I'd made an error, assigning in one case the wrong baptism, where the dates were very similar, and the parents' names the same, and in the other where I'd killed off a young member of a family in error for her cousin, I've been very grateful, and when I've checked it all out properly, amended my own records, with grateful thanks to the person who pointed it out.
-But it is as jillruss says, all part and parcel of everyday life now. I remember trying so hard to convince students years back that copying out slabs from internet sites did not, in my book, equate with personal and original research, but it still happens....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 September 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
My friend informed me last week a member of her family had researched the family history and has got back to 1690. They have not bought one certificate or visited any Archives, but managed this in less then a couple of weeks.  ::) and guess where they have copied it all from!
The trouble is genealogy is "fashionable" so half the people are not interested in proper research they just want to have something to show off.

A cousin informed me that she had "researched" our family going all the way back to the 1400s (or something like that) -- over the weekend!

Her research must have gone something like this:
- make a cup of coffee and crack open a bag of potato chips
- do a Google search on our surname
- open a Word document
- copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste
- brag about how easy it is to research going back 500 years
- job done, move on to conquering the world

:-\

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 September 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hah!
- And of course it's all accurate! It must be - it's from the Internet!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
It is the blatantly obvious bloomers that tickle me, all the trees that have one of my ancestors giving birth on both sides of the Atlantic, less than six months apart.

Then there are the trees that have members of my family born before their grandparents. Not to mention all the baptism, marriage, burial and census images attached to people as the sources, that have no relation to the person concerned. ;D ;D ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
The ‘stealing’/’filching (whatever term that may be used) of photos, documents, online trees or anything that is termed as ‘User Provided Content’ on Ancestry seems to constantly cause outrage >:( >:(  The cold facts are that once you have accepted Ancestry’s Ts&Cs, you have licenced them (for free) to use ‘User Provided Content’ in virtually any way they please :(  Once uploaded your photo is just another record in a searchable Ancestry database, and will remain there for as long as Ancestry exists. It is the same as a parish record image for example, although in this case the owners of the records have licenced them for a fee not free, no reason to ask the original owner for permission to use it on a tree. Here are the Ts&Cs in all their glory, section 3 containing the relevant information

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/legal/termsandconditions#UserContent

The original post on this topic is a completely different situation as I understand it. If providing information privately I think I would have expected a courteous ‘would you mind’ before passing it on to someone else.

Simon