Author Topic: Unacknowledged Copying  (Read 6435 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unacknowledged Copying
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have a a private tree on Ancestry.  It is not because I want to take from others or don't want to help others.  It is private because 1. it is a work in progress and I have had it drummed into me never to publish unfinished research. 2. I have cryptic notes in my tree for my use as I'm tryng to figure things out, I doubt someone else would understand my own shorthand so could cause confusion. 3. I have been given information on the condition I don't make it public.  4. My tree has the married father of an illegitimate child and I do not know if the legitimate descendants know and I do not want to be responsible for them accidentally finding out (although I would tell them if they specifically ask).

I don't take from other trees.  The most I do is look at other trees to either decide whether I will contact them or not or to get an idea of record sources to look at, ie which original record sources to look at.  I'm sick of this idea that owners of private trees are somehow bad people who steal from others.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
When my Ancestry tree was public, I would get very annoyed when I saw a record or photo that stated "originally shared by" so and so - (the name of the other member).   But I knew jolly well that the cert. or photo was taken from my tree, as I always add a special little mark into the corner of each before I put them onto my tree! That's one of the reasons I changed it to private. 

Sadly though, I think some photos and stories from private trees still come up in a search, and people can simply copy them!  I'm certainly not averse to sharing things from my tree - after all, it's in the T's & C's, and if we didn't share our stuff, probably none of us would get very far!  But if another member doesn't bother to introduce themselves first, from the "send message" link, and let me know their relationship, say thank you when I say " go for it" - it's pretty poor form!

I recall writing to Ancestry once asking what would happen to my Private tree when I die, and no subs coming through.  They told me it would become public.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:15 BST (UK) »

I don't take from other trees.  The most I do is look at other trees to either decide whether I will contact them or not or to get an idea of record sources to look at, ie which original record sources to look at.  I'm sick of this idea that owners of private trees are somehow bad people who steal from others.

I agree with pharmaT.  I don't copy other people's trees - in fact I've long since stopped looking at them as I found I was getting too worked up about some of the ridiculous errors ! I'm doing my trees for my own pleasure and interest and I pay handsomely for the privilege of using Ancestry , FindMyPast etc. If I choose to keep my findings private then surely that's my business . I always respond when others contact me for information , even when some people are incredibly rude in the way they ask and in  most cases once I've given them what they want I don't even receive a reply.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else how they should manage their tree and I'm not sure why anyone would think that that's appropriate.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:26 BST (UK) »

I agree with pharmaT.  I don't copy other people's trees - in fact I've long since stopped looking at them as I found I was getting too worked up about some of the ridiculous errors !

I'll sometimes have a quick browse of other people's trees if I'm really stuck, in case they've spotted something I've missed. (Of course, I only use it as a hint, and check the records to back it up.) Am I being greedy, since my own tree isn't public? Maybe I ought to give something back. I don't mind other people using my research, it's not as if I'm losing anything. I just haven't got round to uploading my tree in full - too many better things to do!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:28 BST (UK) »

I was amused  / angry once to see a photograph (in fact I bet if I look I can still find it)
That I had restored - with my own 'inimitable' style  -- describe as being a specific member of my tree.   For instance the photo was maybe my Great Nan and this person had - borrowed it - and attached to my Aunt..

She was actually a contact of mine on Genes'   - and from there she sent me an email, telling me of her great discovery....

'okay'

So I did advise her - NO whoops - cos I imagined it to be a genuine error.

But as I said, I will go peep and bet I still find the error today.

Because I do 'Restore' my pics before adding   ( - and lately ALL is private )  in my early days of Ancestry Use - I would share with very very close cousins precious personal pics... but suddenly began to see my Ernest Clarke jnr - attached to a totally different Ernest Clarke from Timbuctoo or somewhere.. 'so we also have '''photo grabbers'''
I do love to find a photo - but will NOT add unless I can verify. Have in the past and found out later NOPE wrong Fred Jones.

So NOW my tree's are privately private :)

and I am going cos --- I am rabbiting.. and I have my new FTM - to get on with :)

xin
and housework :( :(  :(

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
ps I am going to put in my will that my subs must be paid forever ... but of course they wont.

I have a contact that I used to be in touch with all the time, and her tree is still private.    so hopefully this means she is still around somewhere  :)

xin

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Also beware of Find a Grave harvesters who take large chunks of people's work to create bios without permission sometimes identifying their burial places on the flimsiest of evidence such as some of the family are buried in one particular cemetery. The information on Find a Grave has now found its way onto Ancestry and Family Search so I've been alerted to my copied data and the mistakes made by the person that did the copying  >:(

I no longer put my information out there as there's no way of controlling what happens to it. I've seen my information come back to me in Ancestry hints with copying mistakes. I shouldn't have to track down mistakes on sites like Find a Grave and try to get them corrected or removed. Large chunks of my research was taken from my website without permission. I don't bother now with websites and online trees it's not worth it when you look back on what you contributed and what you got back in return.

Blue   

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
This is the person who took stuff from my website without permission she ignored two e-mails from me last year. Both e-mails were polite and about corrections. She has an interest in the surname Holland so zoomed in on my Holland stuff:-

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=47665455

Blue

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
I haven't got my tree on Ancestry but others who have shared ancestors have their trees on Ancestry including information that they got from me in the first place.  There's nothing I can do about it, and also the fact that numerous trees - that I can't find any connection to - have my g.grandfather and a couple who they have as his parents.  Now I can't find my g.grandfather's beginnings but what I do know is that he was not the son of the couple shown on Ancestry.  I was in touch some time ago with a genuine ancestor of this couple and he knows that his ancestor with the same name, is not my g.grandfather.  It makes no difference, people will put on Ancestry what they want to, also because it's default is America, I've got ancestors on other peoples' trees who have been born/lived/died in USA even though none of them ever left England.