Author Topic: Peter Baikie & Helen Moar, HELP PLEASE!  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Ames1122

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Baikie & Helen Moar, HELP PLEASE!
« on: Friday 25 August 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for my great x3 grandmother Mary Baikie's Parents info and their ancestors.

Mary Baikie
B. 1828 Evie, Orkney
D. 1920 Bankburn, Orkney

Her parents were:

Peter Baikie
B. 1775 ?
D. 1853 ?

Helen Moar
B. 1792 ?
D. 1852 ?

I be live they had Mary along with Peter, David, Helen, Isabella, Margaret and Marjory.

Any help would be absolutely wonderful!

Thanks,

Amy :)
Marwick, Stevenson, Harcus, Ireland, Metcalf, Anderson, Raymond, Murray, Drummond, Sinclair, Sneddon, Baikie, Miller, Phillips, Armstrong, Kinscher.

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Baikie & Helen Moar, HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Do you hold any other information about them? What is the source for the possible dates that you have posted?

They appear to be listed at Cluick, Evie, in the 1841 census aged 60 and 55 respectively, but remember that ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 in that census. Also with them: Peter (25), Ellen (25), Margaret (20), May (15), Ann (15) and Mary (14). All born Orkney.   You will find some census information on freecen.org but always check the full record on ScotlandsPeople.

In 1851 (Freecen again) Helen (69) widow, Peter (36) single and Ann (26) single, surname Beakie (Orkney Family History Society transcribe as Baikie and are probably correct) were at St Andrews, Evie; Helen and Peter born Stromness but Ann in Evie. That implies Peter senior died before Helen. I can't immediately see them in Stromness in the 1821 census (Orkney Family History Society transcription) but there iare two other Peter Baikie - one a 59 year old fisherman listed with Margaret leask and others,  the second a 29 year old, possibly the son of Thomas Baikie and Janet Beaton, certainly listed with them at Drydale.

Hope this helps a little.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
on the 1821 they are in Sandwick at Skethquoy, Peter 45, Helen 29, Helen 7, Isabella 5, Margaret 2 and Marjory/May aged 1

Children born to Peter Baikie and Nellie/Helen Moar; John 21/9/1806, David 12/10/1812, Peter 30/07/1811, Nelly/Helen 25/7/1814, Isabella 4/5/1816, Ann 28/3/1825, Mary 14/12/1828, May/Marjory4/2/1821 and Margaret 18/10/1818

There is 1 possible birth for Helen Moar in Stromness, parents were John Moar and Marjory Huntow ( more likely to be Halcrow )

Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Re Huntow surname - this is an Orkney surname, mainly Birsay I think.