Author Topic: Which Jean/Jane Christison?  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Which Jean/Jane Christison?
« on: Friday 25 August 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Jean Christison had an illegitimate child in Lochlee in 1842, of which one of my Wyllies was the father. I have the relevant details from the Lethnot and Navar Kirk Session, which says, "Jean Christison lately residing in this Parish now in the parish of Lochlee .... delated William Wyllie (unmarried) at Tillyarblet as the father of her child .... William Wyllie of Tillyarblet .... being interrogated whether he was the father of Jean Christison's child, confessed that he was." There is no baptism in the OPRs. I do not know the child's name, or even its gender.

The challenge is to find out which Jean Christison was the mother. There are several possibles in the 1841 census

1. Aged 20, servant in the household of Thomas Gordon at Lichtnie, Navar and Lethnot

2. Aged 14, servant in the household of John Kinnear at Blackness, Lochlee

3. Aged 15, servant in the household of James Esplin at Ferny Bank, Lochlee

4. Aged 15, in the household of Margaret Christison at Corhairncross, Lochlee.

There are others in the surrounding area, but it seems reasonable to concentrate on the ones in the parishes of Lochlee, Lethnot and Navar.

The following possibles were baptised in Lochlee, which seems to have been a veritable hotspot of Christisons (especially David Christisons).

1. Daughter of David Christison and Dianna Stewart, baptised 2 June 1816. She married George Smith on 4 July 1846 and died in Brechin on 12 October 1890.

2. Daughter of David Christison and Agnes Christison, baptised 3 April 1825. I don't know what became of her.

3. Daughter of David Christison and Margaret Kinnear, baptised 2 May 1825. This is the one at Corhairncross in the 1841 census with her mother and four siblings. She married Peter Davidson in Lochlee on 25 September 1852, and died at Invermark Cottage, Lochlee, on 1 April 1915.

3. Daughter of Hugh Christison and Isabella Christison, baptised 22 August 1826. This one died unmarried on 17 October 1895 at Townhead, Lochlee, and her death was registered by her daughter Helen, whose surname I cannot decipher with certainty. (Image attached)

I incline to No 1, because I think she is probably the one who was actually in Lethnot and Navar in 1841, and Lichtnie is near Tillyarblet, but I'd like a bit more certainty if possible.

Any ideas?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Jean/Jane Christison?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Helen Bowman?
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
I wondered about Bowman but I cannot find a marriage of Helen Christison or Helen Wyllie to a Mr Bowman, and I have failed, so far, to find her in the 1891 or 1901 census. And assuming that Helen isn't the illegitimate daughter of William Wyllie, I have no idea what her father's name was and hence what her surname on marriage might have been.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Jean Christison had an illegitimate child in Lochlee in 1842, of which one of my Wyllies was the father.

Any ideas?

Forfarian, I know how thorough you are but the obvious.....have you found a child male or female of the correct age with either surname in 1851 with someone other than the mother i.e. g/parents/aunt & uncle which may be a pointer?

Agree the name on the image is Helen Bowman.

Annie

Crossed post!

Edited above
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
have you found a child male or female of the correct age with either surname in 1851 with someone other than the mother i.e. g/parents/aunt & uncle which may be a pointer?
No. I have all the relevant censuses of the Wyllies, but struggling to find the various Jean/Janes in 1851, apart from No 1 who is in Brechin with husband and stepson.

Was half-hoping that Helen ?Bowman would turn out to be the child, but I don't see a matching death of a Bowman/Wyllie.

I suppose I was wondering if anyone using another census index/translation might come across one or more of them.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Great start, no sex/forename & of course the child could have died pre statutory too  ::)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Great start, no sex/forename & of course the child could have died pre statutory too  ::)
Indeed. On all counts. And naturally it's the fate of the child that I'd like to know about, as it's the one related to me. Murphy's Law!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
What's the part of the address of Helen above Newtyle?

Looks like Conston but can you verify?

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
What's the part of the address of Helen above Newtyle?
Looks like Conston but can you verify?
I read it as Couston but it could be Conston.

Edit: Found it http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/no3239