Author Topic: REILLY-BUTLER from Cavan-Dublin to Salford  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Yvie Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
REILLY-BUTLER from Cavan-Dublin to Salford
« on: Friday 25 August 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The wonders of internet has finally opened up my paternal Irish roots. But it's not without enigmas.

Here goes.

My gr-grandmother was born Mary REILLY in 1907 Salford. Her mother is named as Rosanna REILLY formerly BUTLER. The father isn't named on the birth certificate.

From Mary's marriage certificate in 1930 I learnt that Mary's father was Andrew REILLY, a travelling salesman.

I have found Rosanna's death certificate in 1939, and she is listed as the widow of Andrew REILLY, a commercial salesman of smallwares. I also found two other birth certificates for a Reilly-Butler in 1912 and 1916, both children of Rosanna Reilly, formerly Butler, but neither showing the father's name, again. Could this be because he was travelling and wasn't allowed to be named?

I cannot for the life of me find a 1901 or a 1911 census record for Andrew, Rosanna or even Mary.

Nevertheless, I wanted to dig further into Andrew and Rosanna's Irish roots. After years of wondering if Andrew was a made up person, Ancestry finally popped up a RC marriage record of Andrew REILLEY and Rosanna BUTLER with subsequent parents names (Lawrence Reilly/Margaret Farrelly and Luke Butler/Mary Behan) with addresses in DUBLIN at Great Clarence St and North Cumberland St.

Married 8 Nov 1896 at St Andrews, Dublin City.
A son, Lawrence John REILLY, born 5th Feb 1897, 9 Lower Gardiner St, Dublin, appears in both RC parish registers and civil records. All awesome information. Another male child born 26 Dec 1900 at the Rotunda Hospital, is also great news. He was possibly named Luke, if we can assume the Irish naming tradition continues. Though, is there a reason for no name on the record?

But that's where this magical trail ends and I am still no more closer to understanding who Andrew is, where he died, why I can't find any records of him living in the UK. He is an elusive figure!

But yes, he did at one stage exist concreteley, as I actually found his birth in the parish records.
Andrew REILLY born 21st July 1869 at CROSSBANE, Co. CAVAN...where it appears the REILLYs had several other children whilst living in Mullagh and nearby Kells....but that's getting into other territory.

If anyone has any knowledge of the once-whereabouts of Andrew REILLY, a travelling salesman of smallwares who ended up in Salford, but never appeared in any record there...I could put this enigma to bed.

Thank you! Yvie
Johnson - Richardson - Grundy - Horrocks - Hickson - Gabbott - Doughty - Wrench - Wallace - Galloway - Dunbar - Reilly - Butler - Fahey - Lloyd - Davies

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REILLY-BUTLER from Cavan-Dublin to Salford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Could this be his death?

Sep 1917 St Faiths - county of Norfolk

Reilly Andrew 47

so age would fit with a birth in 1869
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Oh it looks like the one who died in Norfolk 28 Aug 1917 appears on a lunacy admission register - date of admission 27 Jun 1902. 

He is married but was this a different Andrew Reilly  :-\

"Your" Andrew is marked as deceased on the marriage of Mary in 1931.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Yvie Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Sep 1917 St Faiths - county of Norfolk

Hello Millipede,

I've scoured this one. It seems there were two Andrew Reillys in the 8th Hussars Regiment from Ireland who were stationed in Norwich, one of them, possibly, married a Kathleen and had two children, and was committed to the Asylum at Hellesdon, where they later died. Checking the soldiers records in Ireland too, a name comes for a father next of kin being John Reilly, which puts a spanner in the works of it fitting nicely.

It doesn't quite fit with my Andrew Reilly because of the daughter born in 1916 back in Salford. He would have had to get out of an Asylum and travel to Salford...then head back again? Interesting story if that was the case! Haven't ruled this out but am thinking this was one of the other soldiers who settled there instead...

Cheers,
Yvie
Johnson - Richardson - Grundy - Horrocks - Hickson - Gabbott - Doughty - Wrench - Wallace - Galloway - Dunbar - Reilly - Butler - Fahey - Lloyd - Davies

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
"..... Another male child born 26 Dec 1900 at the Rotunda Hospital, is also great news. He was possibly named Luke, if we can assume the Irish naming tradition continues......"

Assume nothing!!

That child would be 0 on 1901 Census   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kl7/

IF the child was still in dublin!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
I cannot for the life of me find a 1901 or a 1911 census record for Andrew, Rosanna or even Mary.

Me neither, even if they went back to Ireland for a while they should show up there if not in Salford  :(

Yes I tend to agree about the soldier and the death isn't for your Andrew. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Yvie Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Me neither, even if they went back to Ireland for a while they should show up there if not in Salford  :(

Yes, elusive in both countries...may just be a case of waiting for other records to be made available, however obscure! Thanks for your help :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
These births all have Reilly MMN Butler and were registered in Salford

Just to make sure they have been ruled in or out as those first names haven't been mentioned

Marion Jun 1906
George Dec 1909
Gerald Sep 1912
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Yvie Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
These births all have Reilly MMN Butler and were registered in Salford

Marion Jun 1906
George Dec 1909
Gerald Sep 1912

Gerald is a definite, I have his birth certificate.

Marion and George are new to me! I could only glean the Butler name from the FreeBMD website, have you found Marion and George on other sites? They would fit with birth time frames... So far I have a gap between 1900 and 1907 babies.  :-\