Author Topic: South Africa Research Help  (Read 3706 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa Research Help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 17 00:55 BST (UK) »
Two crucial bits of information.

On the 1939 Index the Widow Gertrude Shaw gives her birthday as 10 August 1862. Living at 41 Elvaston Place, Kensington, London. Widow. I was concerned that the address may be of another Gertrude Shaw. I went to the Electoral Rolls just before the war and there she was. Went back to 1929 Electoral  Rolls and there she was this time as Gertrude Wynne Shaw and her husband Bernard Vidal Shaw same address in Elvaston Place. I think she should have known her own birth date so that 1862 date should be right.

I found Blanche Seymour Shaw as mentioned on the Whitaker document sent to me. On the 1896 Census of British Guiana she is 11 years old. That means she is born about 1885. Before the divorce proceedings started. It was a South African divorce in the High Court of Griqualand.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Warning: the Mormons have transcribed some of those Süth Efrican records every bit as badly as Ancestry does.  Found one of my relatives with forenames Anne Aleusda, marrying a John Hubert.

Fortunately someone has put the announcement in the Natal Witness on the tangled web:
her middle name was Aleurida and his was Herbert, just as I always thought.
I admit Aleurida is an unusual name, but at least it exists (or did then)!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 17 16:52 BST (UK) »

Warning: the Mormons have transcribed some of those Süth Efrican records every bit as badly as Ancestry does.  Found one of my relatives with forenames Anne Aleusda, marrying a John Hubert.

These records are transcribed by volunteers, often not from South Africa and therefore not familiar with the places or the language, the older documents are mainly in Dutch or Afrikaans and the handwriting is often so awful that a best guess is all the transcriber can do. ;) ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 September 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
I received the marriage certificate of Gertrude to Bernard Vidal Shaw. As I predicted it was in the Register Office, in Kensington, London (where she was living) married on 24  October 1889. A very informative certificate the groom is Bernard Vidal Shaw and the bride is Gertrude Wynne Dallas formerly Cole, Spinster, (before the Dallas marriage). He is a Bachelor She is described as The Divorced Wife of Seymour Dallas.

I found Seymour Dallas and his wife Gertrude in Islington, London 1881 Census. He is an Actor, she a Vocalist. Oldest daughter Gertrude Mary Dallas is with them. Mother and daughter born in South Africa, Seymour Dallas, England.

Fathers on the Marriage Certificate, Eyre Massey Shaw, and George Montague Cole, Bank Manager, deceased. Have found a George Montague Cole on the Internet but no reference to a Bank Manager.   

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 October 17 03:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cath 151

"Date ? ....at the Cape. Gertrude Wynne actress and niece of Mr.Justice Cole (Alfred Whaley Cole) We were delighted to see each-other again. Talked for some time then I had to say a goodbye as the coach to Kimberley was ready to make its last stage of the journey. Authour - Charles William Henry Kohler.

Justice Cole is more documented than George Montague Cole. Should be able to take take George Montague Cole back further on the strength of his brother Alfred Whaley Cole. George was a Bank Manager so they normally do not have much history published.

Gertrude Wynne Cole - married Seymour Dallas - she aged 16. Cape Town
Divorced then married Bernard Vidal Shaw - she aged 26/27 Kensington, London Register Office.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 20 03:54 BST (UK) »
All the evidence points Blanche Seymour Dallas being the last child of Seymour Dallas born prior to his divorce from Blanche's mother Gertrude Wynne Cole Dallas. Blanche was adopted by Bernard Vidal Shaw. The only child of Seymour and Gertrude to be adopted by Shaw and renamed Shaw.