Author Topic: South Africa Research Help  (Read 3707 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Africa Research Help
« on: Friday 25 August 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Gertrude Wynne Cole was possibly born in South Africa about 1861. She married Seymour Dallas (of Lancashire, England) 25 March 1878, Cape Town children found so far:
Gertrude Mary Dallas born abt 1879
Jessie Seymour Dallas born abt Nov 1881
Female Dallas born 29 October 1883 (Cape Times)

Gertrude divorced Seymour Dallas in South Africa or England?

The divorced Gertrude married Bernard Vidal Shaw 1889 Kensington, London.

They went to British Guiana where Bernard was employed as Head of Prisons.

Three children born there.

Blanche Shaw born about 1890
Bernard Vidal Shaw born 28 April 1891
Eyre Massey Shaw born 1895/6. Killed WWI

Now comes the weird part which has no relevance to South Africa. A Blanche Seymour Shaw married a William Harold B. Whitaker 11 June 1918. London. Who names a child with the first (divorced) and second husbands names? Blanche Seymour Shaw born 1890 according to Whittaker research.

Any help on filling the South African gaps will be appreciated.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa Research Help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. That will keep me going for a long time. The South African records seem to be very well preserved and what's so important - available. I will publish anything new on Roots Chat.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 August 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
South African indexes & records (some aren't indexed yet, so you have to browse through them
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927115?region=South+Africa
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
England & Wales, Index of Wills & Administrations 1858-1966
Seymour Dallas of 11 Limes-road Weybridge Surrey died 14 May 1933 at 16 Leas-mansions Folkestone Probate London 23 June 1933 to Michael Bernard Foster M.D. and Stanley William Bishop merchant.  Effects £3452 17s. 2d.

Stanley W. Bishop married Minnie M. Dallas Jan-Mar 1918, Chelsea District, Middlesex.
Stanley William Bishop, born 25 Nov 1887, Harlesden, Middlesex, England, died 13 May 1965 at 3 Pentire View, Polzeath, Cornwall & Minnie May Dallas, born 28 Oct 1883, died Jul-Sep 1976, Truro district, Cornwall. 

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 August 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Alfred Whaley Cole (1823-1896)
http://www.victorianresearch.org/atcl/show_author.php?aid=1145

African Review, Volume 9
Death of Mr. Justice Cole
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01klk/

"Reminiscences of my life and of the Cape bench and bar"
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01klj/

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
I can hardly keep up. A few points from the information you have all sent me. The Cape Times "a daughter" born 28 October 1883 turns out to be Minnie May Dallas born 28 October 1883. What's a day difference !!!

Blanche Seymour Shaw (Mrs Whitaker) is as far as I can tell an adopted daughter of  Bernard Vidal Shaw.  Other researchers have missed the fact that she was 52 when she died (Free BMD) and that makes her birth year 1885 which is before the divorce and re-marriage of Gertrude Wynne Cole (Mrs Dallas). Again who names a daughter Seymour. Only Seymour Dallas would have done that

It getting late and Master Cat is calling for his (late) supper.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
The document sent to me on the marriage of William Bovil Whitaker is vague on the age of death of Blanche Seymour Shaw his wife. (died age 46-47 ?). However their marriage 11 June 1918 is correct and the marriage certificate is published on the internet and her age at the time of marriage in 1918 is 32. Works out to born about 1886. The is the year that Seymour Dallas is trying to get a divorce from his wife Gertrude. 

I think there is a possibility that Bernard Vidal Shaw adopted Blanche Seymour Dallas.

I ordered the marriage certificate of Mrs Dallas/Shaw from the GRO in England and awaiting its arrival.

I am predicting a Register Office Marriage as one party was divorced
Will be interested to see if Gertrude calls herself a widow, or divorcee. Remember Queen Victoria is still on the throne!