Author Topic: Alice Maxwell miniature portraits  (Read 1915 times)

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Maxwell miniature portraits
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 August 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish. I am not sure how to link it to the Photo Board but have posted the photo there and am just waiting for the moderator to approve it.

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Just came across this post and am venturing my opinion for what it's worth.

I have read a bit on Alice Maxwell, deaconess, for other reasons and  would hesitate to say that either of the beautiful pictures are that particular Alice (I do not know of course and may be wrong).

My feeling is that she probably dressed more in a manner which reflected her quiet, pious nature, which I believe was evident from childhood.

Just a thought though.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 September 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Eliza. I also remain unconvinced that the girl in the portraits is Deaconess Alice Maxwell. While the age fits and that Alice did travel to Australia, it's certainly not enough to say definitively that she is the one. I would imagine Alice Maxwell ia not an uncommon name and it is probably more likely that she is Australian.
I contacted the seller of the portraits last week to see if he had uncovered any more information. He was visiting some elderly relatives on the weekend and was going to ask them. He felt there was some link to his family. Here's hoping they may have shed some light on the elusive Alice.

Thanks again,
Kathryn.

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 September 17 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,

I'd be interested to hear the outcome if you get any further information.

The portraits are very beautiful, you were lucky to get them - I would have done the same.

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 September 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
I will certainly post any news here as it comes to hand as everyone on this forum has been so helpful. They are very beautiful and I was lucky to secure them even though it is not what I usually buy. We have a war and social history museum so my items usually have a more military theme, but I just couldn't resist!

Kind regards,
Kathryn.