Author Topic: John Ingamells  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Ingamells
« on: Saturday 26 August 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
I have some old information from the Familysearch site that John Ingamells who married, had kids and died in Lincolnshire, was actually born in Germany in 1740, which I don't wholly trust.
Does anyone know any way of verifying this?
Many thanks
Pauline
East London:  Chamberlain, McCall, Selby, Coleman,  Jones, Humphries, Davies
South London:  Wannell, Carr, Sullivan, Holland
Kent: Day
Norfolk: Knopwood Caulk
Flintshire:  Davies; Jones
Ireland:  Rowe (Kildare & Dundalk), Collins (Cork)
Staffs: Carr, Powell

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ingamells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
who did he marry ? if it was Elizabeth Burr - one tree has him born Sibsey,Lincoln
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the one. I must track down this tree and have a look.  I expected him to be from Sibsey, but no sign.
Thanks for your help.
Pauline

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Go to www.geneanet.org
register for free
when accepted
Ingamells
john
search - then edit search and put in country - England
year 1725 -1750
his actual marriage record is on there but you have to pay to see that
added
4th one down
http://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?go=1&nom=ingamells&prenom=john&prenom_operateur=or&with_variantes_nom=&with_variantes_nom_conjoint=&with_variantes_prenom=&with_variantes_prenom_conjoint=&size=10
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
This tree says John was born 1727 and Elizabeth 1729

http://gw.geneanet.org/csharpe?n=ingamells&oc=1&p=john

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
ah - check this out
John Ingamells •Born 13 October 1727 - Mumby Chapel/Bennington, Lincolnshire, England
married Elizabeth Burr 14th may 1761
•Deceased 19 January 1783 - Sibsey, Lincolnshire, England , age at death: 55 years old   -  so looks like he was born in Mumby Chapel ,Bennington - do you know it ?
this tree gives his parents - do you have them ?
http://gw.geneanet.org/csharpe?lang=en&p=john&n=ingamells

parents William b 1698 and Ann Green

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
That is great thanks. Bennington is right next to Sibsey. However Elizabeth was born in 1736 not 1729. I will have a go at geneanet which I had not heard of before.  Many thanks again.
Pauline

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Notwithstanding that I am very grateful for the above information, I should like to set the record straight.
I have now had a chance to check the baptism of John Ingoldmells in Mumby. There is no mention of Bennington and the parents were William and Elizabeth, not William and Ann.
I fear I am back to square one.
Pauline

Offline BostonLil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 17 07:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm a direct line descendant of John Ingamells and I spent several years trying to definitively tie him in with his parents.  Although Ingamells is a pretty uncommon name around the country, unfortunately there are hundreds in Lincolnshire.  However, that being said, there still weren't that many in one area when John was born.  Plus the Ingamells tended to have more females than males, and not many of these males survived to have children, so there are fewer possibles than you might think.

There were 3 particular men surnamed Ingamells who married (at Sibsey) to 3 sisters surnamed Burr originally from Algarkirk; so I'm firmly of the opinion that they are closely related.  John, William, and Christopher Ingamells who married Elizabeth, Mary, and Ann Burr respectively, fit in with being the sons of William Ingamells and Ann nee Green.

John's baptism in 1727 has his parents as William and Elizabeth Engoldmell, however I think this is an error.  Mumby registers appear to be written out at the same time for the whole year; the layout and handwriting is too consistent.  An entry for the same day has a mother Elizabeth, and I think it entirely possible that someone took that mother's name mistakenly from the line below when copying from the rough register.  There is no other couple of William and Elizabeth Ingamells (whichever spelling) at the time.

William senior is shown as being of "the Chapple" from his burial, and this is Mumby Chapel aka Chapel St Leonards. William and Ann's children were baptised at Hogsthorpe, Mumby, and Addlethorpe; all of which are within a few miles of each other.  Addlethorpe is only about a mile from the village of Ingoldmells, which is the source of the surname.  Goodness only knows where someone got Germany from, but that's been floating round on Familysearch for donkey's years - so I'd advise you to ignore it.

I can take the Ingamells line back several more generations, and they end up in c1500 in the Great Carlton area which is about 16 miles or so north of Mumby.  Remember that the place names on the east coast are often derived from Scandinavian names due to the invasion tendencies of the Vikings etc, so there will be similarities with names in other northern European countries.
Ingamells - anywhere and everywhere
Capes - Holbeach, Lincs and Castleacre, Norfolk
Carling - Manchester
Parkinson - Wainfleet, Thorpe St Peter, Legsby (Lincs)
Waller - Donington on Bain, Lincs
Davey/Davey - Stickford, Lincs
West - Asterby , Lincs c 1800 +/-20yrs
Gaunt/Gant - Baumber, Lincs
Ellingworth - Rutland
Dexter - Rutland
Clark/e - Holbeach, Lincs
Rodgers/Rogers - Holbeach, Lincs
Freshney - Moulton, Lincs
Ling - Saleby and Whaplode, Lincs