Author Topic: Allan Neill Private Royal Army Service Corps service number 224240/ 2202110  (Read 14342 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Neill...Help
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
Here's the headstone in case you haven't found it. It sounds from that as if he was still in the army when he died. He wasn't just an ordinary soldier!

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8779724
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
He was a Lt. Col. when he died on 1/11/1962 (don't know where this was) and buried 6/11/1962 at Arlington.

Wife Marga H. Colson actually died in Dearbon, Wayne, Michigan but I have absolutely no idea how you'd purchase a death certificate.

Have just found her arrival at New York on 3/4/1948 which confirms her birthdate of 19/4/1923, that she was born in Maybole, Scotland, and that she was joining her husband - at that time intended place of residence was Phoenix, Arizona.  Her next of kin in Scotland is given as Mrs. G. McLure, Middle Norton, Newbridge, Mid Lothian who is shown as 'mother'.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 21:34 BST (UK) »

Have just found her arrival at New York on 3/4/1948 which confirms her birthdate of 19/4/1923, that she was born in Maybole, Scotland, and that she was joining her husband - at that time intended place of residence was Phoenix, Arizona.  Her next of kin in Scotland is given as Mrs. G. McLure, Middle Norton, Newbridge, Mid Lothian who is shown as 'mother'.

Annette

Is the daughter born 1946 with her?  If she gives her mother as McLure, we either have the wrong person ( which I doubt) as her maiden name was Milroy, or her mother remarried.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Lt Col Carl Clayton Colson & his wife Marga Helene Colson are both listed here: http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/arlington/cemeteries/arlington-col-con.txt

Surname: Colson
Given Name: Carl
Middle Name: Clayton
Suffix:
DOB: 06/15/1919 (15th June 1919)
DOD: 11/01/1962 (1st Nov 1962)
Branch: US Air Force
Sec: 2
Row: 0
Site: 3696 RH
Interment Date: 11/06/1962 (6th Nov 1962)

Surname: Colson
Given Name: Marga
Middle Name: Helene
Suffix:
DOB: 04/19/1923 (19th April 1923)
DOD: 12/25/1999 (25th Dec 1999)
Branch: US Army
Sec: 2
Row: 0
Site: 3696 RH
Interment Date: 07/10/2000 (10th Jul 2000)

It would appear therefore that she was in the US Army with the rank of Private.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
That seems strange doesn't it that she was in the army? She would have been 25 when she arrived in the USA and married with a child ( unless she left the child in the UK). She certainly wouldn't have needed to work in later life if he was a Lt. Col would she? Could it just be a rank granted to her so they could be buried together?

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Carl Clayton Colson also appears to be mentioned here: https://archive.org/stream/airforceregister1957wash/airforceregister1957wash_djvu.txt

I am not exactly sure as to what info is on the above site, as my computer struggles to load up the site (because my machine is so old and slow! ::))

Jan, your right it is a bit strange, I believe that you could well be right as to a rank being created so that they could be buried together.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Jan, your right it is a bit strange, I believe that you could well be right as to a rank being created so that they could be buried together.

Perhaps that is why there was 6 months between the death and the interment there.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:26 BST (UK) »
Doesn't give much information, David just says

COLSON CARL C

13731A

CPT

A

and further down his name again and a whole list of numbers. I'm not sure what they refer to.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 31 August 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index for Marga.
Marga Colson
[Marga Han Snell]
[Marga Snell]
[Marga Nellier]
b. 19 April 1925, ??? Maybole, United Kingdom, d. 25 December 1999
Father Wilheim C. Nellier
Mother Jean Milroy
Notes: Oct 1951 name listed as Marga Colson, June 1969 as Marga Han Snell, Marga Handling Snell,
15 Jan. 2000 as Marga H. Colson.

Her U.S. Social Security Death Index gives her date of birth as 19 April 1923.

There is a Texas Divorce record for Marga. Marga H. Snell, age 63, marriage date 30 June 1968,
divorce date 24 August 1987, location Tarant, Texas, spouse Rex L. Snell (d. 7 Nov. 1992 California)
number of children 0.

On the 1948 arrival in NY that Annette found, she lists her race as Dutch, and speaks English,
Dutch and German.

DB