Author Topic: sugestions for getting round modern birth certificate  (Read 903 times)

Offline Milly Molly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sugestions for getting round modern birth certificate
« on: Saturday 26 August 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
Newbie to here and family tree searches so please forgive any gaffs and I am unlikely to understand abbreviations either
SHORT QUESTION :- I am trying to trace a friends family tree BUT her mother was from Halifax county, Nova Scotia( I am in the UK) and it's all totally different to UK law etc. I have established that we cannot get a copy of her mother's Birth cert'  I know her full name her DOB and the county and probably the town of birth and the school she attended, plus anecdotal family history , I am just waiting for a copy of the marriage cert' which will give me her grandfathers name.  her mother was born during the second world war. Any suggestions as to how I can establish her grandmothers name ??
All suggestions welcome

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sugestions for getting round modern birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Can be difficult to find 'recent' information but once you have the father's name from the marriage certificate you might be able to find an online obituary, gravestone inscription or other record. Did the marriage take place in Nova Scotia? if so it will also give a more exact location than Halifax County.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
It would be worth trying to get in touch with family or friends of the family. For example, there may be an alumni group for the school she attended; your friend could try to get in touch and ask if anybody remembers her Mum. If the name is unusual enough she might have luck trying to locate a cousin just by surname.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milly Molly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, The marriage was in England, so no problem obtaining it, it's just a bit slow, me being impatient an all . The school she attended is now closed and demolished, it was in the centre of Halifax but the lady came from Peggy's Cove, To me it seems a very long distance to travel to High school but perhaps I just don't understand how it works in NS? Contacting family members is a bit sensitive to say the least and not something I could consider at the current time " long lost family" If you understand me. Hopefully the grandfathers name will get me back far enough to Access other records

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Would she have been on the 1921 census?

OOps - just read your post again and I see that she was born during WW2. 

RK

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
If the marriage was in the UK and the baby was born during WW2, were they in the UK in 1939? The grandparents may both be on the 1939 Register if that is the case.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Peggy's Cove to Halifax is probably about 25 miles but it's possible she attended high school in Halifax (boarding there or staying with relatives).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
It sounds like the UK marriage record you're waiting for pertains to your friend's parents. You've stated that your friend's mother was from Nova Scotia. Where was your friend's father from? I'm wondering if there might have been a notice in the newspaper regarding their marriage, which may or may not have named the bride's parents.

Also, was your friend's father in the military during the Second World War? If so, I wonder if his military record might provide any clues (this one's a long shot).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Also, was your friend baptized in a church? If so, it might be worth it to contact the church and ask for a copy of whatever they have on file, just in case the godparents or witnesses were family members.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters