Author Topic: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please  (Read 3570 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please
« on: Saturday 26 August 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have recently received the attached photograph and was wondering if anyone could offer any answers to my questions.

I think the photograph was taken around 1914 - 1918 but could be wrong, my question is, why would the woman be wearing the uniform of a soldier, including the cap, complete with badge of the Kings own Yorkshire light Infantry?.
On the back is written "Your neice Reed Sarah on gurde" (spellings as per the writing) it is addressed to "Unkle joaniss c/o Mr Brunyee Goole Fields Goole" (again spellings as per the writing).

Or, is it a later photograph and she is just posing for the photograph in the uniform of say, a family member or a loved one?

Any thoughts or input would as always be greatly appreciated.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

Try searching Family Search for Jarvis Reed 1991 census,Yorkshire.He has a neice called Sarah Reed.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
I have seen one or two of these types of photos before & it's always curious as to why a woman would be dressed in a uniform.
Hard to say if this is during WW1 or just after. The back of the photo might indicate which.
The uniform is pre 1916 pattern but the card with border is more associated with post war.
It may come down to finding out if she is related to someone who served/died during the war.
Uniforms & kit belonged to the army & were not kept by servicemen or their families so it may be someone on leave at the time or in uniform but not overseas.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Jarvis Reed of Goole Fields seems to have been 58 ish when the war started so my suggestion would be a pre-war service soldier, perhaps in one of the KOYLI militia battalions (lots of stuff on the shoulder title).  No sign of any WW1 records.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
There was a Goldthorpe Brunyee, an estate manager in 1911 census. Maybe "uncle Joannis" worked there.
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
That would make a lot of sense, Jarvis is a "visitor" at the place where he was at the time.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, firstly my apologies for the delay in my reply, I was going to post earlier but "Family turned up"  ::) It looks like I am off on a mission, I  have attached the back of the postcard and the name is "Jarvis" not joaniss  :-[

Many thanks to you all for your continued input, as always it is greatly appreciated  :)

Frank,

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Frank

I'd say no doubt at all that this is Jarvis Reed which Sarah (on guard!!) made a good fist of spelling.  Age 55 in 1911.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
The uniform and hat are a few sizes too large for the lady, especially the tunic neck and sleeves!  So i would guess that she is just posing in someone else's uniform.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.