Author Topic: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please  (Read 3571 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, MaxD, many thanks for that snippet regarding the numbering and the action in which he died, It puts a bit more flesh on the bones, so to speak, another brave soul who never returned.

Andrew, yes I suppose she would be intrigued by the interest shown in her photograph. it was given to me by my wife's cousin to look into, it will be good to tell him the results due to every ones help on this thread.

Another result due to the wonderful help of Rootschatter's  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
;D ;D  I suppose she would do it today by Facebook.

;D ;D ;D ;D I love it!

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank....Great photo and I suspect the writer was quite young...The white borders on postcards date from 1915 believed to have been introduced for economic reasons during the war.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 August 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol  :) , many thanks for that, yes, it's a great photo isn't it.

Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 August 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again, as a footnote to the thread, this is another photograph I received along with the photograph of Sarah in the uniform of Walter, it shows a group of soldiers in the uniform of the Kings own Yorkshire Light Infantry, I am of the opinion that one of them, a private without collar dogs (there were none on the tunic Sarah was wearing) could well be private Walter Reed 241590 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 5th Battalion, obviously I will never know but they also seem to have the same type of shoulder title as well.

Frank.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting this. It is interesting to see other WW1 posed groups to compare with those passed down my own family. Have you noticed the white stones aligned to form letters and an outline drawing under the edge of the hut on the right of the picture ? Not enough visible to make sense of unfortunately.
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
We have a similar photo of my gt grandmother and one of her sisters wearing two of their brothers uniforms (West Yorkshire Regiment).

It is a full length photo of them stood in the street, in front of their house and one of the brothers is stood behind them on the doorstep. He is in uniform but not wearing a cap or great coat, so one of the caps and coats worn by the sisters must be his. The brother in the photo was KIA Sept 1915.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Unprovable of course but I wonder whether the stones are showing a drawing of the Light Infantry bugle and below it part of the words [Le H]avre with a date (perhaps arrival??) in 1915? (Although that doesn't add up with Walter who arrive via Boulogne in November 1915).  Their uniforms look rather too pristine for men already at the front.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Certainly a wartime photo as the man in the centre row has a black cloth cover on his 2nd. button. This tells you he has lost a close relative.
I would agree with MaxD that this was taken at home.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/