Author Topic: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I would greatly value your opinions on a photograph please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
I agree, she's posing in someone else's uniform. She's wearing drop pearl, or similar, earrings and a necklace of some kind - never part of a official uniform, surely!!!  A

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
She has just put the jacket over her normal clothes and added the hat, I'm sure it was just for fun. Perhaps the electoral roll for the area would give you a possible date.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your continued input, a little bit of research shows:

Jarvis Reed is in 1891 living with Thomas Reed in Thorne Yorkshire, also present are Thomas Reed's sister Annie and her daughter Sarah and son Ernest.

Sarah is shown in the photograph wearing the jacket etc of the KOYLI some time during the Great War>?...........................

need to  pop out,,,,,,,,,,,, to be continued
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
............... Be back later with details, however I have found a Annie Reed who lost a son in the later months of 1918, he is listed on my local war memorial and he served with the KOYLI.

Frank
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 August 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
Back again, in 1911 Annie Reed, the mother of Sarah and Ernest is living at Waterside in Thorne with 6 of her children including 20 year old Ernest and 5 more children including one named Walter, Sarah is not shown but 7 children are shown as being born with none having died.

Walter is 16 years of age at this time, now then, my local War memorial has a Walter Reed listed upon it.

241590 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 5th Battalion
Enlisted Doncaster - Died 27th March 1918 (killed in action) Age 23
Son of Annie Reed of 12, Water Side, Thorne.

I think this ties in with the photograph, perhaps Sarah put it on for a photograph, as has been suggested while Walter was home on leave.

All in all I think everyone's input into the thread has brought about what seems to be a possible conclusion, many many thanks to each of you for taking the time to help.

Do you think it's a feasible conclusion?

Frank.

ADDED: The 1901 census shows all the family members together who should be there according to age including Sarah, the following census in 1911 shows all family members including those born after 1901 excluding Sarah and the ages of all tie in with those on the 1901.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Frank

You beat me to it!  I hadn't chased down who the owner was but was going to propose that it had nothing to do with Uncle Jarvis.

Uncle Jarvis is clearly too old (54 at the start of the war) to have been the owner  but niece Sarah would have thought he would be amused seeing her (on guard) in her rellie's uniform perhaps even before he went off to war.

Another interesting one, good sleuthing!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
PS  241590 is his post 1917 re-numbering number, he was 4310 before that.  Went to France to join 1/5th Battalion November 1915, 2/5th later, so one would assume the uniform wearing was before that.  He died on the third day of the massive German offensive Operation Michael a little after 1/5th and 2/5th were amalgamated having been heavily mauled earlier that year.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
How totally bemused would Sarah have been if she could have seen 100 years into the future and discovered so many strangers intrigued by her uniform.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D  I suppose she would do it today by Facebook.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk