Author Topic: Fanciful tale?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fanciful tale?
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
 I have just been listening to a cd of reminiscences of a relative from Greenock  Renfrewshire  now deceased. His family name is McLeish. In it he talks about an ancestor from the Isles  reputedly" press ganged" and  who worked for the Hudson's Bay Co in the 19th century.   On returning home after many years  the lost lad was only recognised by his mother due to a birthmark on his neck. I have heard  a  similar story  from other family members over the years and dismissed it as a flight of fancy. Unfortunately  I have no names or  actual dates to try to locate this ancestor but I have recently read that many young men from Shetland were employed by the Hudson's bay Co. I also have read about the power to impress men  for the British Navy that was  supposedly abandoned in in 1815 but in fact carried on till  1900.   Apparently many young men from Scotland were taken against their will to crew ships.  The linking of the two stories to give the impression that the Hudson's Bay Co was somehow involved in the press ganging is a bit of a  leap too far for me.  But I am now intrigued.

I am hoping some one can point me in the direction to research these tales which begin to sound like they might not be so fanciful after all!

Regards Orkrad

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Fanciful tale?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 04:49 BST (UK) »
No idea if this tale is true or not.  However am sending you the listing of the Hudson Bay Company sheets.  Not everyone who worked for them are on these but a good many people are.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/index.html?print

Good luck in trying to prove this story but it certainly sounds interesting.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
Otkrad,  Orkney or Shetland were the last ports of call for ships bound for the north of Canada. Taking on water men or livestock, reluctant recruits were quite possible. Shetland in particular suffered badly in the famine of the 1840's, the effects of which lasted 20 years. Young men were encouraged to go to sea (North Sea Chinamen!) In the case of the Royal Navy, Shetlanders pay was docked to assist Poor Relief given to their families back home.

Skoosh. 

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
 Thank you Lauraine and Skoosh  for your replies. The employee list for the Hudson's  Bay Co will be really useful. Now I need to find a name for the missing lad and I can carry the search further.

Regards  Orkrad.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
Young men were encouraged to go to sea (North Sea Chinamen!) In the case of the Royal Navy, Shetlanders pay was docked to assist Poor Relief given to their families back home.

Skoosh,

I bet you read a lot  ;)

I was intrigued by '(North Sea Chinamen!)' but I think I have the gist now after reading this wee story (although not a Shetlander/Orcadian)...

http://www.pwsts.org.uk/matthewmcginty.htm

The term 'North Sea Chinamen' is used in the 5th Summary (HOME FOR CHRISTMAS)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Very Good Annie!  ;D    My G,G Grandfather was a Shetlander who went to sea & I can't find him anywhere?

Skoosh.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
  Rosinish, I've just read the Matthew Mc Ginty story. What an interesting tale. Thanks.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Very Good Annie!  ;D    My G,G Grandfather was a Shetlander who went to sea & I can't find him anywhere?

Skoosh, I think he may be dead  :D

Have you posted a query on RC as there are many people with many different resources which we don't have access to  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 September 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
I posted years ago Annie, search-box "Olla Nicolson!

Skoosh.