Author Topic: CATHOLIC - Anna RUSSELL; Procter; Dobson; Myers of SELBY. HOODs - Where?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hi

When Margarita Myres was Born & Baptised in the CATHOLIC Register at SELBY in April 1835.
The Mother was Anna RUSSELL.
Father was Georgii MYRES.

The Patrinus fuit surname Richardson might be my relation?
Joannis BLINKHORN and
Matrina Hannah RICHARDSON.

My Sarah Hood (nee Richardson) 3 X Gt Grandmother descent is Richardson and Blenkin.

My Sarah Hood (was nee Russell) 4 X Gt. Grandmother.

The 1815 newspaper Weddings, just says both of that place. How long George Hood had lived at Selby before 1812 is unknown.

George Hood buried as a Non-Quaker by the Quakers, could even be a Catholic, C of E, or any faith, but Russell look to have Catholic links too.

--------

Wesleyan (Arundel) and Independent links to my HOODs (various, in business & marriage), too.

I can also add Catholic (Dobson) and Presbyterian (Bateman) by Marriage, too, according to Selby Catholic and other NC Registers from 1797 to 1840.

Some Jacksons (Hood business link to that Surname) were also Presbyterian (besides being Quakers, etc.).

Some Procters (Hood business link to this Surname) were also Catholic (besides being Quakers).

My Liquorice Allsorts HOOD Family?  ;D  /  ???

Question
I would be most interested to discover please, where Rootschatters have come across Catholic, or Presbyterian and other NON-Church of England, HOODs in Yorkshire, 1750 to circa 1820?

Thanks Mark

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CATHOLIC - Anna RUSSELL; Procter; Dobson; Myers of SELBY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Not unusual in the North of England.
'Catholicism was the majority religion in various pockets, notably in parts of Lancashire, Yorkshire and Cumbria,...'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recusancy

I have a line of ag labs from the areas around Knaresborough and Boroughbridge who are a mixture of Yorkshire Catholics, Church of England and Wesleyan. Over the Pennines, a mixture of Lancashire Catholics, and Church of England and in the West Midlands a line from Birmingham where some brothers and their families change from Catholic to Church of England between the 1860s and 70s.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CATHOLIC - Anna RUSSELL; Procter; Dobson; Myers of SELBY. HOODs - Where?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I have the 'Returns of Papists 1767' Catholic Survey Volume 2 (bit too early for me at the moment) of Yorkshire and it gives places, occupations, but only their names by initials (published 1989).

The R. C. 1767 Survey has, 25 large pages, 2 columns per page, in small type, of Yorkshire Catholics.

A North Yorkshire extract by Perkins & Litton (published 1990), gives a Hood couple at Richmond and another source, gives a Catholic Hood family at Holme on Spalding Moor.

PEARSON (a surname of interest) - 17 Catholics (North West Yorkshire published by Perkins & Litton, with first name and surname).

Question
I would be most interested to discover please, where Rootschatters have come across Catholic, or Presbyterian and other NON-Church of England, HOODs in Yorkshire, 1750 to circa 1820?

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have not actually seen this July 1791 Quarter Sessions document listed on the WYAS Catalogue ...

However, Catholics were only granted a Certificate for Public Worship at SELBY and CARLTON in 1791 QS1/130/6 (Bradford).

It seems that some Roman Catholic events such as Marriages in their churches, were clandestine.

Only QUAKERS and JEWS were exempt from Hardwicke's Marriage Act. Everyone else had to marry in a Church of England Church, or have one of those Special Licences.

Jane Hood (nee whatever she was) could have been Catholic and a nee COOK or PEARSON?

I wonder if the answer (like George Hood's burial) is right under my nose?

I'm glad I deleted that unhelpful comment re Catholics holding onto their records, as they might have the answer.

I have been exchanging documents with my Hood family and they have a picture of "George Hood" (believed to be the one born Selby 1847), but they don't have a 1785 - 1787 George Hood birth either.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
Regarding Catholics (listed by name) in 1767

Anne HOOD, aged 60, Widow of Thomas, Barber Resident 20 years, Richmond Township.

In 1767 PEARSON are Roman Catholics in North Yorkshire, split into the following places:-
Manfield, Richmond Deanery
Richmond, Richmond Deanery
Carkin, Chapelry of Forcet, Richmond Deanery
Bedale, Catterick Deanery
Langthorne pa. Bedale, Catterick Deanery.

COOK(e) Roman Catholic 1767:-
Eliz Cook, age 22, Servant, resident 9 months Manfield, Deanery of Richmond.
Thomas Cook, age 16, Servant [Summer] Resident 2 years 9 months Wycliffe, Richmond.
James Cooke, age 61, Innholder Resident 21 years, East Witton, Catterick.
Elizabeth Cooke, aged 56, His Wife, Resident Born there, East Witton, Catterick.

When I saw Catterick, I couldn't help, but think of this:-

William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery) [Collierley Dykes]
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733961.msg5792768#msg5792768
His Wife was born Newcastle All saints

Carnagill was Richmond (Reply #8)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733961.msg6060147#msg6060147

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Claire has found a 1657 Obligation of Willm Spencer of Brayton County of Yorke Yeoman ... Doe stand firmly bound unto Charles Walmsley of Stayner Hall in the County of York Esq ... & did belonge unto Jane Spen [page torn away] ... Charles Walmesley & all other his officia [page torn away]

Looks like the Spencers of Brayton were Catholic.

According to Dugdale's Visitation the descendants of the Walmsley or Walmesley Family of Stayner Hall near Selby were Lord Stourton, later Lady Stourton (In the Roman Catholic, Return of Papists 1767 and also Selby Land Tax both under Selby) and then Lord Petre.

There is also a reference to Charles Fairfax of York in the attachment.

It was Col. Fairfax that assisted Col. Hood in Yorkshire (where some Hoods settled) when General Monck, Col. Hood and Others marched through Yorkshire on the way to London to restore Charles II to the throne in 1660.

According to family folklore from my late Grandmother they marched down, what is now the A1 Road.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
Posted for later reference
Catholic Miscellanea Volumes available online
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=534930.msg3890567#msg3890567

Catholic Miscellanea Volume IV, page 372
(Page 368 says extracted from the Northern Genealogist III, 84 - 88, [other notes, but not transcribed here] ).

No. X Papist Returns for the City of York and Part of the Ainsty, 1735

St Dennis [Walmgate]
Richard Flemming, apprentice to John Hood, a whitesmith, in St. Helen's parish.

Mark