Author Topic: Have I caught the right FOX???  (Read 684 times)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have I caught the right FOX???
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Morning,

Due to the free weekend on a certain website i have started digging again but possibly confused myself.

I am looking for William Fox in Sunderland who married my 3rd great grandma Sarah Simpson.

I had been going with William Fox born 1810 in Sunderland to Algernon Fox & Mary Agar. But now wonder if I should be following William Christopher Fox born 1807 to Christopher & Elizabeth Fox.?

My William died in 1850 and Sarah remarried Christopher Thompson.

I am confused for the simple reason that William & Sarah had 2 children, John & Ann (my link) but wonder why William didnt use his parents names as they are indeed unusual.? In addition I found a William Fox in Sunderland on the 1851 census as a baker like his father Algernon maybe???

I think the heat is getting to me... Can anybody help or reassure me that I have the right William born 1810 and died 1850.  :-[ :-[ 

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Have I caught the right FOX???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
The only death in Sunderland for a William Fox showing in 1850 on the groindex (this gives age at death) has his age as 69.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
The only death in Sunderland for a William Fox showing in 1850 on the groindex (this gives age at death) has his age as 69.

William

Mmmm now wonder when Sarah married Christopher Thompson that she was described as widowed as maybe William had left her or she left him? I guess it was easier to describe themselves as widowed instead of divorced in the 1800s.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Seems to be a marriage 18 Dec 1854 in Bishopwearmouth.Both widowed.  Sarah's father named as Robert Simpson.

Have you found Sarah in the 1841 and 1851 census?

In the 1841  census I can see a Sarah Fox 23 living in John St - below is son?John Fox age3 and above is an entry for Ann Simpson 48. Interestingly there is a Christopher Thompson further up on the same page - a tailor.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Yes got Sarah in the 1841 census with her mother Ann & son John. Her daughter Ann was born in 1846 but cant find Sarah, John or Ann in 1851.
They pop up again in 1861 census and she is widowed again!

As for William I am stumped! 

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Have a look for Christopher Thompson born Darlington in the 1851 census - a tailor (probably mistranscribed as born 1786 - think it should be 1806). I think this is the same man as in the 1841 census - he has a wife called Sarah b 1818 Sunderland. Christopher and Sarah may have been  living as man and wife until they married in 1854.

The groindexes are also worth looking at. There is a death in Sunderland of a Christopher Thompson in 1855 - age 49. (Durham Records Online seems to have his burial record).

Also worth looking at births in the groindexes as mothers' maiden names are recorded. Putting in the surname Fox in Sunderland with mother's maiden name Fox  in the 1840s actually comes up with a number of results and some have the middle name  Thompson.

William