Author Topic: Can anyone help me decipher some names?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me decipher some names?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
You can search by forename on SP - if you search "Magdalene" deaths in Townhead in 1938 it shows that the lady at the reference 644/6 834 had three surnames during her life namely Chernouski, Petrollis and Pampalis.

William.

Thank you for that, I will take another look 😀 Maybe it could still fit, my relatives did seem to change there names quite regularly 😕
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
The 3 names listed on the death index..."Chernouski, Petrollis and Pampalis" should signify one being her maiden surname & the other 2 being marital surnames?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
The 3 names listed on the death index..."Chernouski, Petrollis and Pampalis" should signify one being her maiden surname & the other 2 being marital surnames?

Annie

I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy some more SP credits or I'll never know 😕
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
I hope it is ok to add to a post that i started some time ago as I have started looking at the most difficult side of the family again.

I have found what i think must be my 3x gt grandparents on the 1911 census under the anglicised version of there names Marshall.  I am fairly sure its the correct family as the 2 children i knew of william and annie (my 2x gt grandmother) are both listed and the ages match up.  The wifes name is different though, Maggie rather than Agatha though im not overly surprised as there names are regularly different or spelt differently.  the think i would like help with is there appears to be a 3rd child listed but i cannot make out the name, can anyone help?  I also noticed that they had had 4 children but only 3 living.  i tried to search SP for children that had passed in the gorbals but there were too many, does anyone know of a better way of searching?  I dont think the children were registered with the name Marshall, my 2x gt grandmother was registered Mekszraites and my 2 gt uncle was registered as Pampalute as he was illegitimate.

I hope the image is readable, i had to resize it a lot to get it under 500kb
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 06:28 BST (UK) »
I found rootschat and this thread through simply googling the name Yourgis Masaitis to discover the likely country of origin of the name.  It looks like we may be researching the same family Hmootm. 
I would love to hear from you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 04:09 BST (UK) »
I have found what i think must be my 3x gt grandparents on the 1911 census under the anglicised version of there names Marshall.

I hope the image is readable, i had to resize it a lot to get it under 500kb
Is it possible to snip the important parts & post a larger image please as the image you posted is far too small to read?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 04:14 BST (UK) »
I found rootschat and this thread through simply googling the name Yourgis Masaitis
It looks like we may be researching the same family Hmootm. 
Welcome to RootsChat  ;)

Hopefully Hmootm is still researching this family & will receive an email of your post & reply.

Annie

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie.  I have no idea how this site works so have my fingers crossed Hmootm is alerted and replies.  I am relatively new to genealogy having started during covid lockdown and am delighted to find yet another resource in Rootschat.