Author Topic: Can anyone help me decipher some names?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me decipher some names?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
..birth for Annie Mekszraites 1907 Greenock

I can't believe how good you are at this, I've got nowhere in months!
I searched initially on first names, and then using a wildcard for birth of Annie M*s.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
I think the death I found for Yurgis is wrong. Using the alternative spelling of Jurgis, I see a death for Jurgis Meksraites in 1956.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I found my 3 x great grandparents marriage 😀
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
I think the death I found for Yurgis is wrong. Using the alternative spelling of Jurgis, I see a death for Jurgis Meksraites in 1956.

Agota's death in 1931 shows her as married rather than a widow, so the first one you found in 1928 looks unlikely.

To Hmootm: glad we're managing to help you with this. Some of us really enjoy this deciphering lark (maybe we should get out more), and you quite quickly get used to the old styles of writing.

My first thought was that the names might be Greek, but now I'm not so sure. There are a few surnames to play with on that marriage certificate, so maybe see where they are most common.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:33 BST (UK) »

Agota's death in 1931 shows her as married rather than a widow, so the first one you found in 1928 looks unlikely.

To Hmootm: glad we're managing to help you with this. Some of us really enjoy this deciphering lark (maybe we should get out more), and you quite quickly get used to the old styles of writing.

My first thought was that the names might be Greek, but now I'm not so sure. There are a few surnames to play with on that marriage certificate, so maybe see where they are most common.

You are right, it was the second name that Isabel H found that was correct.  I found a clue to the 'Marshall' name on my 3x great grandfathers, his name is listed as George Marshall formally known as yurgis Meksraites, at least that's what I think it says!
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Lithuania as a country of origin? 

I couldn't find any source of origin for the surnames, but from a Google book entitled:-  "Insight Guides: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania", the given names seemed to be popular in Lithuania.

There's an old article about late 19th century Lithuanian miners in Scotland on this website:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/scotland/strathclyde/article_1.shtml

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Lithuania as a country of origin? 

I couldn't find any source of origin for the surnames, but from a Google book entitled:-  "Insight Guides: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania", the given names seemed to be popular in Lithuania.

There's an old article about late 19th century Lithuanian miners in Scotland on this website:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/scotland/strathclyde/article_1.shtml

You have all helped me out so much, thank you so much!  I did think it was Russia or Lithuania, that article was so interesting!

If anyone could help me decipher the parent names on my 3x great grandparents marriage record and the details on the death certificate of George Marshall I would be very grateful
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 August 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
If anyone could help me decipher the parent names on my 3x great grandparents marriage record and the details on the death certificate of George Marshall I would be very grateful

Any chance of larger images, please - more the size of the first two you attached? Or maybe just crops of the relevant bits (but also larger). You can attach images up to 500KB in size.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 August 17 20:25 BST (UK) »

Any chance of larger images, please - more the size of the first two you attached? Or maybe just crops of the relevant bits (but also larger). You can attach images up to 500KB in size.

I hope they come out better this time, sorry about that!
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)