Author Topic: Ancestry search issue on my PC - Help Please?  (Read 821 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ancestry search issue on my PC - Help Please?
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue re using the Ancestry Website. Basically In trying to make use of the current free access weekend, I am currently unable to use it! Incredibly frustrating to say the least!

Basically what is happening is this when I do a search, I am not able to see any results, just a blank white page comes up & nothing else! Also sometimes when I click on a record set to search it, again all I get is a blank white page & nothing else!

What is the issue? Is anyone able to assist?

Just a thought, could it be connected to my having had to clear my cookies about three to four weeks ago to sort out another issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry search issue on my PC - Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Have you tried it using a different browser?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Yep, currently using Google Chrome but have also tried using Mozilla Firefox, but unfortunately with the same end result.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
If you are on Facebook you could try asking on the Ancestry page, someone there might know the answer.

Do you have to sign in for the free weekend? If so, have you tried logging out and back in to see if that clears it?

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Unfortunately, I don't have Facebook or any social media at all for that matter I'm afraid.

I believe that you do have to sign in yes. I have tried logging out & back in to avail unfortunately.

I have found a phone number for them, but whether anybody will be in the office on a bank holiday is anyone's guess!

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

David

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Facebook page of Ancestry,it seems as though a lot of people are having the same problem and this is their stock reply....

Hi, we are sorry to hear that. What browser are you using?
Please try to reach the site with this direct link  search.ancestry.co.uk  make sure to sign in with your credentials and if you still get the issue please let us know.
Also note that only UK and Irish records are available with the Free Access.
Search Historical Records - Ancestry.co.uk

search.ancestry.co.uk
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether too many people are using the free weekend offer and they are having problems?

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol8353 & Jan,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Please try to reach the site with this direct link  search.ancestry.co.uk  make sure to sign in with your credentials and if you still get the issue please let us know.

Carol8353, many thanks for the link from the Ancestry Facebook page, much appreciated. Unfortunately no joy though, still the same problem, just getting the blank white page!

I wonder whether too many people are using the free weekend offer and they are having problems?

Jan, I believe it has been a problem for a while now, I seem to remember if I recall correctly seeing/reading something about it a little while ago, although I could be wrong on that!

I think I can see a library trip coming up this week & make use of their free access!

My thanks again for all help.

Kind regards

David

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Probably not related, but I've been having real issues with IE11 over the last few days with what appears to be memory leakage (high RAM use) which means every so often Ancestry images just won't load, I get a blank screen.  When I check Task Manager its been using anything from 1.5gb to 2gb of RAM across all tabs in the browser (my laptop has 8gb RAM so shouldn't really be an issue).  I've had issues before with this but not after only such a short period of use and the common denominator is Ancestry.  I'm wondering if there are possibly issues with the website causing it, I'd put it down to IE11 to be honest though. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day