Author Topic: Who was the mother of Isabella Wyllie?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was the mother of Isabella Wyllie?
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thomas Wyllie, son of Alexander Wyllie and Mary Christie, was born on 18 March 1801 at Warburton, St Cyrus, Scotland and died on 11 September 1842 at St Vincent.

He had a daughter Isabella, born about 1832 in Tobago and died 30 October 1880 in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland. Unfortunately her mother's name is omitted from the death certificate.

Does anyone know if there are any records that might contain the name of Thomas' wife, the mother of Isabella, and if so how I might get that information?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the mother of Isabella Wyllie?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
The death certificate also shows that Isabella Wyllie was illegitimate so parents probably never married even though she later had his name.   Any birth may have been in the surname of her mother.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
He had a daughter Isabella, born about 1832 in Tobago and died 30 October 1880 in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland. Unfortunately her mother's name is omitted from the death certificate.

Does this mean her father was named on her DC?

No doubt Forfarian you will already have ventured down the routes I'm offering as a possible help?

Do you know the position of Thomas, was he a slave as there seems to be differences with peoples status etc?

Anyway, a wee search reveals what looks to be a bit of a complicated affair but I haven't read it thoroughly to fully understand it & even if I had I doubt I would (understand)  :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/next_steps/genealogy_article_01.shtml

https://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/447-The-Caribbean

http://forebears.co.uk/saint-vincent-and-the-grenadines

Annie

Add....Out of interest, how did you discover Isabella's birth in Tobago to Thomas especially as you don't have her mother's name...I'm intrigued/fascinated  ???  ;D....Was it his will?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
 Thanks, Annette and Annie

Easy answer first: in 1851 she was living with her grandmother in Montrose and the census says she was born in Tobago. Also the family gravestone says she was born in Tobago.

I did have a note that she was illegitimate but forgot to look at those notes. Note to self: do not compose questions on RootsChat in the late evening when very tired!

Thomas is described on Isabella's death certificate as 'West India planter' so he wasn't a slave himself; he probably employed slaves. He must have had Isabella taken 'home' to Scotland before he died because she was with her grandmother in 1841, aged 8. At least I take it to be her; the census says she was born outside the county rather than in foreign parts. I have not found a will of Thomas Wyllie.

That information about recording of births in Tobago isn't encouraging :( but thank you for it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi you most probably have this
Scots in the West Indies
Thomas Wyllie seventh son of Mr Wyllie of Warburton Montrose died St Vincent 11 /9/1842

Captain William Wyllie son of Willie of Warburton died Tobago 24/6/1833

US and Canada Passenger lists Thomas Wyllie
Arrival Year 1842 St Vincent
Primary Immigrant Thomas Wyllie
Source Bibliography
David Dobson ...Scots in West Indies 1707-1857
Baltimore MD Clearfield Co
Page 149

Rosie

Added there is a death for a Isabella Campbell 19/4/1834 St Marys Hill Tobago
Eldest daughter of Robert Campbell Bridgend Greenock ..Not sure of her age  ???

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Captain William Wyllie son of Willie of Warburton died Tobago 24/6/1833
No, that is a new one on me. He has to be a brother or half-brother of Thomas, because as far as I know the Wyllies were from Edzell and it was Thomas' father Alexander who moved to Warburton. But I have not seen a baptism of a son William to this Alexander Wyllie.

Have also realised that William Wyllie (1793-1862) was a nephew of this Alexander Wyllie, the son of Alexander's elder brother James. This William married Martha Morison, one of the five natural children of George Morison (1760-1814), who was a prominent planter and slave owner in Tobago, by Eleanor Irvine. George was a son of Alexander Morison, 4th of Bognie. William Wyllie (1793-1862) and Martha Morison were the parents of the painter William Mor(r)ison Wyllie.