Author Topic: Chyrgeon  (Read 1520 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Chyrgeon
« on: Monday 28 August 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've recently found the Will of my ancestor Isaac Watson of Faversham. In it he mentions his son in law "William Amys of Faversham" who he describes as 'chyrgeon'. I've looked this up and the closest I've come is 'churgeon' which dictionaries say is an old spelling of surgeon. If this is correct is there any way to find out more about Williams's occupation?  Isaac died in 1699 and the Will is dated 1698. Would William have had to be educated particularly well to do this?

Many thanks
Matt

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Chyrgeon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, Matt:

Yes, in my research, chyrgeon and churgeon have meant surgeon.

I came across this transcript of a lecture that might have some useful background info for you:
https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/medicine-in-london-1600-to-1900-dr-william-harvey-and-the-seventeenth-century

Good luck in your search; it's a fascinating topic.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Normal spelling chirurgeon.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
But if he was what was known as a barber-surgeon, not a very skilled/ high status occupation.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Another thought: have you searched for an obit for William?

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Matt:

Yes, in my research, chyrgeon and churgeon have meant surgeon.

I came across this transcript of a lecture that might have some useful background info for you:
https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/medicine-in-london-1600-to-1900-dr-william-harvey-and-the-seventeenth-century

Good luck in your search; it's a fascinating topic.

Regards,
Josephine

Hi Josephine

Many thanks for confirming my thoughts. I had to read the Will twice as I thought I had read it wrong lol!

Thanks also for the link you sent.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Another thought: have you searched for an obit for William?

Regards,
Josephine

No I haven't, although I had thought of it. Do you think he might have left one? Where would be the best place to look?

Matt

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:31 BST (UK) »
My pleasure, Matt.

You could try searching either the British Newspaper Archives website or the FindMyPast website for a possible obit. Both sites feature the same digitized newspapers but they have different search engines (I prefer the search engine on the BNA website). You have to pay to use either site.

You could also search Google Books and the Internet Archive for possible mentions in other types of publications. Both of these sites are free.

https://books.google.com/?hl=en

https://archive.org/

You could also see if there is a local history society or local library that might have publications that might have mentioned him.

Good luck!
Josephine

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
My pleasure, Matt.

You could try searching either the British Newspaper Archives website or the FindMyPast website for a possible obit. Both sites feature the same digitized newspapers but they have different search engines (I prefer the search engine on the BNA website). You have to pay to use either site.

You could also search Google Books and the Internet Archive for possible mentions in other types of publications. Both of these sites are free.

https://books.google.com/?hl=en

https://archive.org/

You could also see if there is a local history society or local library that might have publications that might have mentioned him.

Good luck!
Josephine

Thanks again Josephine. I'll give Google Books a check and Archive.org which is another useful site for old texts online. I'm a member of the British Library so perhaps searching on their catalogue will reveal something. My only puzzle is what to search under? I must admit it makes him a very interesting character.

Many thanks again and I'll let u know if I find anything.

Matt