Author Topic: Riot at Croy church 1823  (Read 1384 times)

Offline phairmason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riot at Croy church 1823
« on: Monday 28 August 17 03:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about a mob and riot at the Croy church in 1823? I would prefer to know if there is anything pertinent about Sweton McIntosh before I order the below court records. He seems to have dropped off the planet about that time.

For background information, see The Inverness Courier, June 19 1823, page 1, columns 4-5. Thanks so much! --Ruthie

JC26/1823/225Porteous roll for the county of Inverness for the Circuit Court of Justiciary (North spring circuit) to be held at Inverness “… 4) Sween Mackintosh, smith, for riot...” 1823
AD14/23/136Precognition against Elizabeth Mackay, Sweton McIntosh, William MacIntosh for the crime of mobbing and rioting. “Sweton McIntosh, alias Sween McIntosh, smith, Address: Cantray, Croy”1823
AD14/23/235Precognition against Sweton McIntosh, Elizabeth MacKay, William MacIntosh, Alexander MacKenzie, John McKenzie, Hugh McIntosh, Jean Fraser, Alexander Kennedy, Hugh McDonald, Margaret Kennedy for the crime of riot at Croy Church. “Sweton McIntosh, alias Sween McIntosh, smith, Address: Cantray, Croy”1823
JC26/1823/210 Trial papers relating to William MacIntosh, Sweton McIntosh for the crime of riot and assault at Croy Church. Tried at High Court, Inverness “Sweton McIntosh, alias Sween McIntosh. Note: For further case details see Porteous roll for the county of Inverness (JC26/1823/225)”   18 Apr 1823
JC26/1823/9Trial papers relating to Alexander MacKenzie, Sweton McIntosh, William MacIntosh, Elizabeth MacKay, John McKenzie, Jean Fraser, Hugh McDonald, Alexander Kennedy, Hugh McIntosh, Margaret Kennedy for the crime of mobbing and rioting at Croy Church. Tried at High Court, Inverness. “Sweton McIntosh, alias Sween McIntosh. Note: Not charged? For further case details see Porteous roll for the county of” 18 Apr 1823

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Riot at Croy church 1823
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

'For background information, see The Inverness Courier, June 19 1823, page 1, columns 4-5'

You have not included a transcription which can only be viewed by anyone with a subscription which allows access to that entry?

The other parts you posted are all easily accessed on;

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

It would be good for us to see the 'background information'

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 06:20 BST (UK) »
There is a detailed report in the Caledonian Mercury, Thursday, June 12, 1823, Issue 15879, but it mentions "Hugh Mackintosh".

It's too long to copy here (and I think posting it would breach copyright), but this is the beginning:

"Monday, Hugh Macdonald, Alexander Kennedy, John Mackenzie, Hugh Mackintosh and Margaret Kennedy were placed at the bar  charged with a tumultuos riot and violent assault, and with opposing the entrance of the Rev Alexander Campbell to the parish church of Croy, Inverness-shire on Sunday 23rd February, to which he had been presented by Lord Cawdor. Jane Fraser included in the same indictment did not appear..."

Mackintosh was given one month in gaol, the others 2 months (the lady fainted on hearing the verdict).

Modified to add: if you'd like a copy of the whole report I could send it to you in a pm?

Offline phairmason

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, the various papers that described the June trial at Edinburgh are behind paywalls.

I'm asking if anyone already has the pretrial and trial court records for the April Inverness trial and can tell me if the information about Sweton McIntosh is useful before I hire  someone to copy them for me. I'm in the US so I don't know if the records total 20 pages or 1000. :-(

The people who were tried in June at Edinburgh might also be relatives. The information about the April Inverness trial may provide clues to whether Sweton is the father of a known ancestor.