Author Topic: SMITH, George - Midmar (Aberdeenshire) War Memorial  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
SMITH, George - Midmar (Aberdeenshire) War Memorial
« on: Monday 28 August 17 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  I'm not sure how I will go with this inquiry, but I am trying to find more information about the George Smith listed on the Memorial at Midmar in Aberdeenshire.

Pictures of the Memorial can be seen here: http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic2841.html .  I've tried registering with the site but it does not appear to be active.  George's details are not listed.

The letters after George's name appear to be S. G. and I think this is the Scots Guards?  It's a bit hard to distinguish Gs from Cs but this letter does seem to have a squarer "tail."  Could S. G. refer to another regiment or part of the services? 

The CWGC site lists two men from the Scots Guards who lost their lives:

George Thomas Smith 11846 appears to have been born in Yorkshire and seems unlikely to be the one on the Midmar Memorial.

The Soldier's Effects record for George Alexander Smith 9294 has references to father William and sister Marion. This appears to be the George Alexander Smith born in Fintray in 1894.  However, on the 1901 and 1911 census this family is in Nairn, and I can't see an obvious reason why he would be the one on the Midmar Memorial.

There does not appear to be a George Smith on the Nairn memorial.

There does not appear to be a George Smith living in Midmar in 1911.  There is a George Smith living in nearby Cluny aged 42, and although you might expect he would (if it was actually him) appear on the Cluny memorial, my Cluny & Midmar relatives moved back and forth regularly.  There appears to be no George Smith in either Midmar or Cluny in 1901.

Any assistance with identifying the George Smith on the Midmar Memorial would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH, George - Midmar (Aberdeenshire) War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know anything about Military/Memorials etc. but...

What I did observe was anyone with a middle name was recorded as such with their middle initial i.e. I would envisage that the George Alexander Smith you are seeking is not the one listed from that aspect?

I may be wrong with my thought but I'm sure someone with more knowledge may be able to help.

I would agree though that 'S. G.' would be Scots Guards.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
   Pte 9294  George alexander smith,
   born cothall Aberdeen 1894, attestation scots guards  17-8-1914 occupation gardener,
   K.I.A  2/1/1915 France.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
What I did observe was anyone with a middle name was recorded as such with their middle initial

I agree that middle initials would be recorded if they were known. 

Those are the only two casualties I found for George Smith from the Scots Guards.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
   Pte 9294  George alexander smith,
   born cothall Aberdeen 1894, attestation scots guards  17-8-1914 occupation gardener,
   K.I.A  2/1/1915 France.

Could I just clarify?  Are you confirming that this is the man on the Midmar Memorial?  Or just providing details for George Alexander Smith 9294?

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
no,  just confirming that this man is from Aberdeen  ::)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
As you've seen, the difficulty is that his service record which may confirm the Midmar connection, has not survived the WW2 bombing.

However, in common with the other Guards regiments, the Scots Guards kept their own records so you may like to apply to the archivist for 9294 Gdsm GA Smith who, I would agree, is the more likely of the two men. http://scotsguards.org/history/archives/

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
There is a much better photograph of the War Memorial at Midmar if you google War Memorials Online and enter Midmar in the search box. This definitely has the initials SG after his name.

A personal observation regarding why he is recorded here could be the fact that, if you have the correct George Smith who was born in Fintray,  it is only about 14 or so miles from Midmar.

I say this because I have a distant cousin who is recorded on the War Memorial in the place of his birth rather than where the family moved to.

Good luck with your research.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
I hadn't been able to see the memorial via the first link but Dorrie's guidance did the trick.  I'd agree that it is SG for Scots Guards and would urge contact with the Scots Guards.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia