Author Topic: Clark of St Pancras  (Read 975 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark of St Pancras
« on: Monday 28 August 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
I would be extremely grateful for any help in locating the birth or parentage of my 2nd great grandmother Mary Ann Cartwright nee Clark. Mary Ann Clark was born in St Pancras in about 1817 and her death was registered in Edmonton, Middlesex in Q4 1893.

She can be seen with her husband Davenport Cartwright (1814 Market Harborough - 1879 Islington) and children in the 1841 census (in Leicester), the 1851 and 1861 censuses (in Nottingham) and the 1871 census (in Bedford). In 1881 she appears in Nottingham with her son Davenport William Cartwright. I haven’t found her in 1891.

The later census entries give her birth as about 1817 in St Pancras, and the GRO entries for her children’s birth give her maiden name as Clark, or occasionally Clarke.

Mary Ann Clark married Davenport Cartwright by licence in a Church of England ceremony in Birmingham St Martin on 30 Sept 1836. Neither the licence nor the marriage register shows the bride or groom’s parents; she is shown on the marriage register as a spinster of this parish and he as a bachelor of St Mary Leicester. The marriage licence shows him as a hosier, which agrees with the description of ‘retired hosier’ on the 1861 census.

I don’t know why someone born in St Pancras would have married in Birmingham, or how the couple met. I have been unable to find a christening that is likely to be her or a will that might be her parents’.

The couple’s religion may be relevant. In the 1851 census, Davenport Cartwright describes himself as a ‘priest in the Catholic Apostolic Church’ which was founded in the 1830s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Apostolic_Church). The couple’s children were given names like ‘Irving’ and ‘Rickman’ relating to leading lights of that church, and at least some of them (including my great grandmother Agnes) continued to be active members. It was probably the church which took them from Leicester to both Nottingham and Bedford, both of which were church strongholds.

Davenport himself was christened in a non-conformist ceremony in Market Harborough on 20 Jan 1815, although he was christened again in a CofE ceremony in St Martins Leicester on 30 August 1829. I can only speculate why a convinced non-conformist had a CofE christening at age 15; perhaps he needed it for an apprenticeship, although I haven’t found a record of one. (Interestingly he married seven years and one month after his christening.)

Many of my mother’s direct ancestors seem to have been brought together by a shared membership of the Catholic Apostolic Church or its non-conformist forerunners, so it may be that Mary Ann Clark or her parents were also members. If so this may have led them to Birmingham, which was also an early centre.

Mary Ann is easily the earliest brick wall in my family tree, and I would be enormously grateful for any help that rootschatters could give in getting past it

Alan Watson

Offline Eckberger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clark of St Pancras
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
I do a lot of research about the catholic apostolic church and their ministers.

I still have a  gap around Mr. Davenport Cartwright. It would be very helpful if you would be able to share some more information about his life. I miss his birthdate/place and death date/burial/place.

I also have a Mr. T.C.D. Cartwright who was his predecessor as a minister in the CAC in Bedford. Were they relatives? Father/son?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
Davenport Cartwright was born on 16 April 1814 in Market Harborough, Leicestershire, to parents Humphrey Cartwright and Mary Ann Ridgeway. He was baptised in the independent chapel in Market Harborough on 20 Jan 1815 and again in the Church of England in Leicester on 30 August 1829 (for an apprenticeship??). He died on 28 May 1879 in Islington. I haven't discovered where he is buried.

As noted in my original post Davenport reported himself as a minister in Nottingham in 1851. He didn't show any occupation in 1871 when he had moved to Bedford.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about TCD Cartwright. He does not appear in my tree as a relative of Davenport's.

I have some other CAC ministers in my tree - Joseph Lawrence Miller (1802-1874), John Edeson (1847-1902), Albert Ernest Pitt (1855-1943), William Dempsey Tarbet (1852-1933), Christopher Barclay Heath (1877 -1961) (grandson of Christopher Heath (1802-1876)) and Edmund Lewis Hooper (1828-1888).

Is there some repository that I could check others against? For example I know that my grandfather Davenport Fabian Cartwright Blunt and his father Henry Blunt were both members of the church, but I don't know whether either of them was a minister.

Alan

Offline Eckberger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan!

Thanks for your quick reply. You gave me some very interesting details.

1. Davenport Cartwright

This is what I have:
- he is mentioned in a german doctoral thesis from 1977 about the CAC. In the appendix he is listet with some literature. He is names "Davenport R. Cartwright" being a priest and later an angel (bishop) in Bedford, Bolton and Nottingham.
- in an official CAC address list from 1872 he mentioned as "R. D. Cartwright - angel in Bedford"

Question: What does "R." means? and "Is it "R.D." or "D.R." - which one is correct?

2. The CAC address list from 1868 mentioned "T.C.D. Cartwright" in the position as an angel of Bedford". I was just wondering ...

3. Your wonderful list of ministers:

- Albert Ernest Pitt (1855-1943) - this one I haven't yet. Do you have any more details about him? Priest or angel? Which congregation? Brith place and death place.

- John Edison- that what I know: * 1847 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire; † 7.11.1902 in Wandsworth, Surrey; about 1860 moved with his parents to Glasgow; Priest in Glasgow, moved
 about. 1891 to London. Married with Rachel Webster (*1853 in Glasgow).
Do you have more about him?

- Joseph Lawrence Miller - that what I know: * 1802; † 22.11.1874 ; Rev in free church in London; minister: archangel in London - beginning 13.5.1833 the congregation in London-Bishopsgate started with him. He was a minister for 41 years..

- William Dempsey Tarbet - that what I know - some dates are different to yours -
* 1850, † 22.11.1933; teacher; since 1894 angel, since 13.7.1895 archangel in London-Chelsea

Question: How are you related to this people? And how they are related to each other?

Only he Heath family are Grandfather, Father and son for sure. I haven't found any relationships among all this ministers. That would be very interesting for me.

You can contact also via email instead of this forum.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just in case you're still looking
Mary Ann Clark d of Samuel and Ann Clark 3.10.1819 at St Pancras may be yours
There also seems to be a christening for the same baby at the Independent Chapel New Road earlier in the year.

Ciderdrinker