Author Topic: Living DNA puzzle  (Read 2764 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA puzzle
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
Maybe you're mutating? :o

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why didn't I think of that!

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 19:12 BST (UK) »

Rumor has it that my g grandfather was born or from Altona, Germany.  Even with searches on ancestry and family search shows boy Muhl and doesn't even list his first name (his mother died giving birth to him or shortly after that). :(

Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 September 17 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I completely forgot to get back to you with the outcome of my query with LivingDNA,which is,as expected,putting the blame vaguely on the quality of my samples:

......Thank you for contacting Living DNA.

You are correct, you most certainly are one of our unique customers having two lots of results.

The reason why your results are slightly different can be because of the quality of the samples tha
you provided us, it is possible that the samples were not completely identical with regards to quality. The first sample may be a better quality than the second or the second could be a better quality than the first.  Our Lab and algorithm will have no idea that the two samples belonged to the same person and so depending on the quality of the sample you will find that the results can be different.

It is important to note that all family ancestry results are estimates, based on the comparing your DNA to our range of reference samples. Many populations are themselves formed from the mixture of other populations. Our algorithm will attempt to match you directly to a population/region, where we have it in our reference database. If we do not have it/we have a low sample size for a region, or if there is further population structure within that population/region, then we are likely to assign some ancestry to the populations that contributed to that region.

Your Living DNA membership includes free ongoing upgrades in the ancestry platform. In the future, if, we are able to provide finer detail within our existing regions, or we can offer additional features in the ancestry platform, your online results will be updated automatically (not applicable to printed results). So you may find that in the future both results will one day be identical or even more similar than they are now. 

I hope this helps and if you have further questions please contact me.

A lot of  possibles,mays and coulds :-\

I'll let you know if "one day" happens.

Barbara

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 17 10:20 BST (UK) »

I was hoping that there was more difference between the countries but I also understand why there is so much "fudge room" on these:  My great grandfather was SUPPOSEDLY born in Germany and immigrated to New York.  HOWEVER, the town he was BORN in was under Welsh rule and by the time he immigrated (about 18 years later) it was under German rule.  So when people say he was from Germany - it makes me wonder.     

My DNA would/does confirm he was Welsh and NOT German.  Until I find actual paperwork etc, I am taking it with a grain of salt but do tend to lean to the Welsh side.
Rumor has it that my g grandfather was born or from Altona, Germany.  Even with searches on ancestry and family search shows boy Muhl and doesn't even list his first name (his mother died giving birth to him or shortly after that). :(

Altona was never under Welsh rule (was anywhere?) but under Danish rule.
Rebel

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 September 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebel

That's why I was puzzled and why I asked  ???

Barbara

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 20 03:07 BST (UK) »

Danish vice Welsh was a typo. The other side of my family is Welsh. There too lies an issue - how to tell the difference in DNA from Wales vice England.
Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin