Author Topic: Newcastle Library, Newspaper Look Up Please  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Library, Newspaper Look Up Please
« on: Monday 28 August 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
If anyone is going to Newcastle Library and has the time, I would really appreciate a look up to see IF there is a death announcement for the following:

Joseph Alfred ARNOTT
died 5th June 1951 (so any notice should be within a few days of that)
according to his probate record, he died at Shotley Bridge Hospital and his home address was 16 The Links, Seaton Sluice. His widow was Alice Arnott (nee Mathers). Don't think they had any children.

I would be particularly interested to know if there was any mention of his previous occupation, though by this time he was retired.

Thanks

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Library, Newspaper Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
There is an article in the Newcastle Journal - Friday 18 February 1944 which mentions a Joseph Alfred Arnott formerly Deputy Superintendent of the Newcastle Fire Service, appointed in July 1940, and retired in July 1941.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan, thank you.
Yes I have that and also have him on the 1939 register which has his occupation as "Police Fireman" at East End Station, Headlam St., Byker.
If there is a death notice that mentions his previous occupation then that would make the death registration of 1951 the right one - it does look and feel right, given the info on the probate, but a death notice may give extra confirmation.

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I see that the Joseph Alfred Arnott who died 5th June 1951 was only 57 so would be only 47 in 1941.
It bit early to retire!
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Which is why I need extra confirmation by something like a death announcement :-)

Though if he'd served long enough to get a full pension he may have decided to retire or there may have been rules about retiring at a certain age from the police/fire service?
The only things I have for comparison are a Police Pension record (Liverpool) for my OHs Great Grandad. He retired on a full pension in 1901 when he was, co incidentally, 47.
His son, also a policeman in Liverpool retired on a full pension in 1933 at the age of 46 (and according to my father in law, hardly moved off the sofa after that - he reckoned he'd walked the beat so long he deserved a sit down!)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tickettyboo,

I am going to do my best to try to get this fitted in today. 

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
No rush, just whenever you are there and have the time.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

The notice in the Evening Chronicle dated Wednesday June 6, 1951 reads:

'ARNOTT, Seaton Sluice, 16 The Links, June 5, Joseph Alfred (ex-Deputy Newcastle Fire Brigade), dearly loved husband of Alice Arnott.  Cremation West Road, Newcastle, Saturday 1 pm; leaving residence 12 noon.  Friends meet at crematorium.'

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your time and help (yet again!).

That is just what I was hoping for :-) His d.o.b. in the 1939 register looks right for his year and quarter of birth and there is no other Joseph Alfred Arnott coming up in the right year (+/- 2).

TWAS do have a file in their Newcastle City Police Service Records, Personnel Files for Joseph Alfred Arnott whose service was 1914-1941, I have emailed them asking for a quote for copying it. Hopefully it wont be a huge amount of pages in the file to copy (and therefore pay for) and that may have further confirmation as the commencing date was prior to his marriage so may have parents details etc.
It will be interesting to see if it was usual for him to have retired at 47 or if it was perhaps due to ill health or injury. Though from what I can see on the web policemen (and I assume fireman too) could retire after they had put in at least 20 years service and looking at the dates on the TWS catalogue entry he'd done 27 years.

Your help is very much appreciated , thanks again, you are a star!

Boo