Author Topic: Newcastle Library, Newspaper Look Up Please  (Read 2417 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Library, Newspaper Look Up Please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Boo.  Plus I have found more:

In the acknowledgments section of the Evening Chronicle dated Tuesday June 12 1951 is the following:

'Mrs Arnott, of 16 The Links, Seaton Sluice, wishes to thank Rev (King?) nurses of Shotley Bridge Hospital, relatives, neighbours, friends, police, fire brigade and Ministry of Works, for kindness, sympathy and beautiful floral tributes in her very sad bereavement.'

Evening Chronicle - June 5, 1952
Memoriam Notice:
'ARNOTT (late Seaton Sluice) A token of love to my dearest husband Joseph, died June 5, 1951. Always remembered and sadly missed by his loving wife Alice.

There was also a memoriam notice in the paper dated 1953 but the print was very bad.  There may be more in  the following years but sadly I have run out of time.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, though that was above and beyond any expectations and I hope it didn't take long.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
If Stan looks in again

I now have Joseph Alfred Arnott's personnel file and a answer about him retiring at such an early age.

In amongst oodles of other good stuff is information that, when he joined in 1914, the Police Pension Act of 1890 was part of his terms and conditions. That had a sliding scale of pension starting from 15/50th of annual pay after 15 years and rising to 2/3rds of annual pay after 26 years.

In 1921 the Police Pensions Act changed the scales, the new scale went from 10/60ths after 10 years service, 26 years would get you 34/60ths and you now had to serve 30 years to get the maximum 2/3rds of annual pay.

As Joseph had joined up when the old scheme was in force, he was asked to choose to accept or decline the new scales -he declined. Therefore he got the maximum possible pension after his 26 years were up, He joined when he was 21 and retired at 47. He got a pension of £211 16s 6d per year.

I assume that, should he wish to, he was free to seek other employment if the drop in income was too much.

Boo