Author Topic: Question on name change  (Read 749 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question on name change
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue.

Going back to your original post, Elizabeth is Thomas in 1871 when she is 10 yrs old so probably no control over her name.
In 1881 and 1891.she is Elizabeth Ivey.
Did she marry Samuel Radford? What name did she use?
In 1901 Joseph's name was probably provided by the householder as Thomas.
I haven't checked 1911.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sadge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
1911 census Joseph is Ivey and down as son in law, he is married by then to Ruth Copeland. I did notice that Elizabeth is a Thomas then back to Ivey. When Elizabeth married Samuel Redford she married as Bessie Ivey.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
Heywood, when Sarah A Thomas was baptised at the age of 19 years it is down that Richard Thomas and Jane were here parents. Now given Jane died in 1878 I would doubt very much she was her daughter. We do not know who the father is of any of these children but might hazard  guess that it might be Richard Thomas but no proof.

Susan

Lancashire BMD shows birth of Sarah Ann Ivy with mother's name Ivy.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Surnames often switch back and forth when the mother remarries (as they do today). Often this is done for convenience - how many times do you want to explain why your child has a different surname from the rest of the family?
Sometimes a child sticks with the stepfather's surname because that was the only father they ever knew. It might come as a surprise that their birth certificate had a different name on it.

One of my own gg gfs was born as Edward Pickering. His father died when he was 4, and his mother remarried when he was 11. He is Edward Crewdson in 1891, and again in 1901 AFTER he had moved out of the family home. He married in 1903 and lived thereafter as Edward Pickering. The witnesses were his newly married brother John Crewdson and his wife.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.