Author Topic: Robert Monahan Wexford Town about 1800  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ArizonaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Monahan Wexford Town about 1800
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 September 17 20:02 BST (UK) »

I have made a search for the birth of Robert Monahan in Rootsireland.ie between 1686 and 1815 and I did not find a single entry for a Robert Monahan in the whole of Co. Wexford. Would anyone know if births around 1800 in Wexford were not recorded in the aftermath of the 1798 Rebellion.

Regards

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 September 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Have you checked if any of the Parish registers go back that far.
If he was RC than most registrers don't start until after Catholic Emancipation.
If he was COI check the dates of registers here
http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:13 BST (UK) »

I have made a search for the birth of Robert Monahan in Rootsireland.ie between 1686 and 1815 and I did not find a single entry for a Robert Monahan in the whole of Co. Wexford. Would anyone know if births around 1800 in Wexford were not recorded in the aftermath of the 1798 Rebellion.

Regards

RootsIreland only covers a few parishes in Co. Wexford - they have a list online showing what is available. But they do cover Wexford town. Any gap in the Wexford Town registers due to the events of 1798 is minimal. Have you tried name variants? A check is to look for any Monahans at all in the time period you are interested in, i.e. not just Robert.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
Have you checked if any of the Parish registers go back that far.

As the registers go back to the 1600s, they certainly do go back far enough...
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ArizonaBoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 17 21:29 BST (UK) »

Hi Wexflyer and Sinann

Thank you for your posts.

My search of Rootsireland birth records for that period included all Monahans and I took a note of each birth and the parents. I also tried different spellings for the name Monahan but no joy.
There was only 3 births near the date I was interested in.
Timothy Monahan born 31 Mar 1791
Mary Monahan born 23 Nov 1792
Both were children of Mogue Monahan and Mary Wilson
Margaret Monaughan born 30 Nov 1807
The daughter of Denis Monaughan and Mary Walsh.

Regards