Author Topic: 1841 /51 census look up please  (Read 1694 times)

Offline sastsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1841 /51 census look up please
« on: Monday 28 August 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Burns , Fathers name John BURNS, married William Benjamin Alexander in Liverpool in 1859. Marriage certificate doesn't give their ages but William (mostly known as Benjamin) died 1868 aged 32. Their two sons were placed into an industrial school in 1869. Possible death for Mary Jane Alexander in 1876 aged 41 so this would make her born c1835 like William Benjamin.  1861 census gave her birthplace as Ireland.
Would it be possible if someone could kindly find her on 1841/51 Census please. Would love to see if I could find where in Ireland she was from, and other family members. Address on M/C was Vernon Court Liverpool.  She is down on one record, think Lancs BMD as Maria.
I was last looking at this a few years ago and think I may have found a Patrick Burns who may have been related but can't remember how I came to that conclusion- maybe an address, Vernon Court?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 /51 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Lancashire OPC has slightly different info

Marriage: 29 May 1859 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

William Benjamin Alexander - Full, Joiner, Bachelor, Cumberland St.
    Groom's Father: Benjamin Alexander, Painter

Mary Jane Burns - (X), Minor, Spinster, Cumberland St.
    Bride's Father: John Burns, Bricklayer

Witness: John Broughton; Ann Broughton, (X)
    Married by Banns by: W. H. Denny, Curate

If she was irish there's a fair chance she didn;t come over until after the 1851 census

Offline sastsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's them. Wonder if John Burns is on 1861 census please?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
1861 Census gives Mary's birthplace as Liverpool not Ireland??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 01:05 BST (UK) »
The Mary Jane Alexander who died West Derby 1876 aged 41 is not your lady I'm afraid.

This Mary Jane was the wife of a James Alexander (Mariner) - her maiden name was Gibbs - and she had a daughter of the same name in 1876 and they were buried within days of each other - the dau. aged 20 days on 8/8/1876 of 27 Cranworth St, Bootle and mother Mary Jane buried 11/8/1876 of Bootle.   In 1881 2 of her sons were now living with an aunt/uncle (no doubt father at sea).

So, what happened to your Mary Jane Alexander I wonder after the death of her husband?

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
Children baptized to Benjamin Alexander and Mary are a son Joseph and a daughter Elizabeth Ann
St Peter Liverpool
Joseph born 5 June 1860 bap 15 July 1860 Kensington (St?) father Plumber

Elizabeth Ann born 2 March 1862 baptized 28 June 1869 Prescot Street father Painter

In 1881 they are living with their grandmother Christiana Alexander at 69 Prescot Street age 77 widow born Isle of Mann.

If you found 2 sons are we talking about the same family? UPDATED see next post
Alexander was a common name in the area.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
Okay now I have 2 sons
Joseph was baptized C of E St Peter Liverpool as previously posted.

Elizabeth Ann was first baptized in St Francis Xavier Catholic Church same birth date 2 March 1862 bap 14 April 1862 parents Benjamin and Maria Alexander. Then again at St Peter C of E 1869.

Benjamin born 7 February 1864 bap 7 January 1866 at the Catholic Church St.Francis Xavier.

They also had a third son John Gilbert born 19 February 1866 bap 19 April 1866
at St Francis Xavier Catholic Church

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
In 1871 the 2 sons of Benjamin and Mary are in Industrial Schools (son John Gilbert b.1866 died 1867) and dau. Elizabeth Ann was with her paternal grandparents.

We know that Benjamin died Dec.qtr.1868 West Derby and there seems to be no trace of wife Mary in 1871 and the Mary Jane who died 1876 has been eliminated as not her. My gut instinct is that Mary had also died before 1871.

A Mary A. Alexander bc.1836 died Sept.qtr.1866 West Derby - I keep coming back to this one and although this is what it says on the typed up GRO page I wonder if on the original handwritten copy it may have been different and mistake made when GRO produced the typed page.

I'm still a bit baffled why Benjamin married as William Benjamin - he was baptised as plain Benjamin, died as plain Benjamin and indeed had a brother William just a few years younger than himself.   Makes me wonder if 'Mary Jane' was the correct full name as on baptisms of children she is just plain Mary.

Burials for Benjamin Alexander death West Derby 1868 and this Mary A. Alexander (same age) death West Derby 1866 do not appear to be available online.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline sastsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  She is a mystery.  Liverpool Records Office have the entrance details for Benjamin and Joseph to the Industrial School, advised that Mary Alexander placed them there 1869, January if my memory is correct.  On record that she was widowed and couldn't keep them. So her death, or possible remarriage was after 1869.