Author Topic: My great grandfather  (Read 1513 times)

Offline sikeywabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My great grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
Havent got that far. I did see my grandparents entry into the parish records that confirms everything I have said. Monaghan is the way that we have alwsys spelled it

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Monaghan is the way that we have always spelled it
Just because you have always used a spelling doesn't mean that everyone else did. People wrote down what they thought they heard rather than what was being said.

I have found my ggg gf's surname spelled in 8 different ways, none of which matches mine!

I believe that Monaghan is an Anglicisation of something in Irish. I bet that conversion was done in half a dozen different ways originally, and most of them have undergone changes since.

So be prepared to search for different spellings. The good news is that wildcards in searches are your friend!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline sikeywabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Lol, i understand that. My surname is Peake. My great gramdfather was listed as Peak. Go figure!

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Looked on the crew list project 1863-1913 and only one William Monaghan is listed

Is this your man?

MONAGHAN WILLIAM, Age-21, Born- LIVERPOOL, (No Capacity what he was is not stated), Vessel-MAID OF MONA, List Starts-1/7/1876, Previous ship-REWARD, Previous ship year-1876, Official number-45475 I.O.M, Source I.D-176734.
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 August 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Good Morning - sorry about the delay - wifes Birthday on Monday and we have been in Blackpool
 - Maid of Mona was an Isle of Man Ferry - pretty certain that the Monaghan family moved from Garston to The Dingle ( part of Toxteth ) I know a Tony Monaghan and I will contact him - do you have any relations named Tony Monaghan ??
Whitley Street - right opposite Garston Gasworks and my wifes cousins were born there - Garston is nicknamed "Little Wicklow " because the vast majority of the Irish who settled here came from Wicklow - so maybe have a look on familysearch for a John Monaghan born Wicklow .
our family church - St Michaels ,Garston has a christening of John Henry Monaghan born 2nd feb 1890 - christened 2nd March 1890 - parents William and Mary Ellen
in the 1881 census we have in Garston-  Mathew Monaghan b 1862 in Ireland - could he be Williams brother /  Matthew is 18 and is a Seaman - did Matthew arrive here before William ??   cos I can't find William Monaghan in 1881 census
 buried in St Michaels 16th July 1893 - Mary Ellen Monaghan - I presume this is your Great Grandmother ?
so I am going to see if I can find Matthew Monaghan in 1891 census - the thing is if William and Matthew are both at sea you won't find them in census returns and if Mary Ellen died in 1893 - who looked after John Henry Monaghan ??....or - is that burial of Mary Ellen Monaghan a sister of John Henry??
anyway - The Mariners pub here in Garston is full of old salty dogs who may be able to advise me  :)
back later
Name     James Henry Monaghan   
 Residence Place     Garston, Lancashire, England   
 Gender     Male   
 Christening Date     02 Mar 1890   
 Christening Date (Original)     2 Mar 1890   
 Christening Place     St. Michael's, Garston, Lancaster, England   
 Father's Name    William Monaghan     
 Mother's Name    Mary Ellen   
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 August 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
I wondered if this might be William in 1881 working as a AB seaman  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q272-TKTT

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 August 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
I think Kay is right - Thomas Jackson was buried 27th May 1888  here in Garston - a year after they married and it looks like his widow Mary Ellen Jackson  married William Monaghan 11th march 1889 - James Henry b 2nd feb 1890 - everything fits in - so I agree with Kay
Mary Ellen was a Hughes - not a Jones - she was born in Everton in 1867 and her parents were John Hughes and Annie in 1881- and they lived in Wellington Street,Garston  ( quite posh then )
aha - he worked in the Copper works and he was from Holywell, Wales andAnnie was from Preston  .The English didn't know how to work Copper - the Welsh did so a huge amount of Welsh were brought here ....
John Hughes   
 Event Type     Census   
 Event Date     1881   
 Event Place     Garston, Lancashire, England   
 Registration District     West Derby   
 Residence Note     Wellington Street   
 Gender     Male   
 Age     38   
 Marital Status (Original)     Married   
 Occupation     Warehouseman In Copper Who Manufs   
 Relationship to Head of Household     Head 
Holywell, Flintshire, Wales
 Annie Hughes   Wife F 34 Preston, Lancashire, England
 Mary Ellen Hughes   Daughter F 14 Everton, Lancashire, England
 Annie Hughes   Daughter F 12 Everton, Lancashire, England
 Jane Hughes   Daughter F 10 Garston, Lancashire, England
 John Walter Hughes   Son M 7 Wallasey, Cheshire, England
 Emily Hughes   Daughter F 5 Wallasey, Cheshire, England
 Joseph Hughes   Son M 3 Wallasey, Cheshire, England
 Frank Hunt Hughes   Son M 2 Wallasey, Cheshire, England
 Charles Wynne Hughes   Son M 0 Wallasey, Cheshire, 
need to see if that record of William Monaghan aged 21 being born Liverpool on his ships log is correct  ? is so I doubt if Matthew is related unless he is a nephew of John Monaghan  :)
added - looks like John Hughes married Annie Murray in 1864...West Derby ,Liverpool ?...needs checking out
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 August 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Looked on the crew list project 1863-1913 and only one William Monaghan is listed

Is this your man?

MONAGHAN WILLIAM, Age-21, Born- LIVERPOOL, (No Capacity what he was is not stated), Vessel-MAID OF MONA, List Starts-1/7/1876, Previous ship-REWARD, Previous ship year-1876, Official number-45475 I.O.M, Source I.D-176734.
definitely looks like him -

Offline sikeywabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 August 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
James henry is me grandad. I have a death certificate for mary ellen  but I dont think its her. Her dad is present at the death and is listed as David Griffiths but her maiden name was Jones.

I havent found an Irish connection. William Monaghan was said to been born in Bootle.