Author Topic: New laptop problem with Windows  (Read 1688 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
New laptop problem with Windows
« on: Tuesday 29 August 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I had to get a new laptop a couple of weeks ago because my other one gave up.  I have set it up just like my previous one, some programs I had to download again but they all work properly with the exception of Microsoft Office Standard 2007.  I downloaded that from a disc we had and although it does work each time I open a saved Word document, or a new Word document, it goes through a configuration process which takes a few minutes.  Not a problem if I want to start a new document, but a bit of a pain if I just want to look at a saved document.  I know Microsoft wants me to download their up to date version and pay an annual fee, but why should I do that?

Any ideas as to how I can configure the version I have just once, without it doing it each time I open a document?

Many thanks.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop problem with Windows
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Office 2007 goes "out of support" this year.

Office 2007 approaching end of extended support - Microsoft Supporthttps://support.microsoft.com/en.../office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support6 Feb 2017 - Summary. Office 2007 reaches the end of its support lifecycle this year, meaning there will be no new security updates, non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates.

They may be encouraging you to do something about it, like not letting you install it fully.

Try Libre or one of the other freebie Ofiice suites?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
The problem may have arisen because Windows 10 is normally shipped with a trial version of Word 365 (the subscription version) which has interfered with the installation of Office 2007.
Have a read at this microsoft forum answer to a similar query :
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e14f498-485c-40c5-b522-d36d9b0c5697/office-2007-configuration-wizard-runs-every-time-i-start-any-application-word-excel-etc?forum=officesetupdeploylegacy

A word of caution it involves making an edit to the Registry file

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Falkryn - I'm happy to give the solution suggested a try, but first:

Ray - if I use Libre or one of the other freebie Office suites will they open Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Word documents that I have filed?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Falkryn - I'm happy to give the solution suggested a try, but first:

Ray - if I use Libre or one of the other freebie Office suites will they open Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Word documents that I have filed?
Yes , Libre Office will also open the latest incarnation of Word documents although there is a slight learning curve as the tool layouts are slightly different to MS Office variants

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/29811/is-libreoffice-compatible-with-microsoft-office-2007-and-2010-word-excel-powerpoint-publisher/

I thought that the "Office365 Trial" link was just exactly that, a link to download and install?
(Happy to be corrected on that)

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
Falkryn - I decided to try the solution on the link you sent me, but the solutions I noted didn't seem to work, so now I've downloaded Libre and will try that.  If I don't like it I can always go back to Microsoft Office and put up with the configuration problem.

Many thanks to you and Ray for your help.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
I've now downloaded Libre and it opens my saved documents immediately.  Great, thank you Ray.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 22:53 BST (UK) »

Sooper!
Fantastic!

If Libre doesn't work then try OpenOffice / ask again.
(They "all" have different exact specifications, but all aspire to accomplish same results)

Falkyrn, Please update us on the O365 link thing? TVM!

R