Author Topic: Sydney Orphanages  (Read 409 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sydney Orphanages
« on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
I am just starting to look for a family of children sent to an orphanage in or not long after their mother died in 1921.  The family lived in the Bankstown/Punchbowl area. I thought I'd be clever and go to the State Records online indexes but their records are prior to 1921.  I'd appreciate some direction please. I'm also thinking that the records may be locked until 2021+.  J

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Orphanages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
Here's a 383 page pdf that may have some useful info, perhaps 'hidden' in the footnotes.

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/319256/connectkin_guide.pdf

JM
DO NOT COPY PASTE ANY OF MY POSTS TO ANY OTHER FORUM. I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR ANY OF MY POSTS TO BE SHARED WITH OTHER FORUMS.
 Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.    
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk         
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Some reading for me!   J

Online mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:38 BST (UK) »
Is there a chance they went to The Infant's Home?

If so, this link might help
http://www.theinfantshome.org.au/about-us/records-search/
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Don't know.  I have a feeling it may have been in the Burwood/Ashfield area but my information is at least third-hand and some generations old.   I'm also thinking the children were unlikely to be at an institution such as the Foundling Hospital at Ashfield, or Renwick as these catered for mothers giving birth; unwed mothers in particular.   I'll check out the link.  Thank you.  I suppose I shouldn't ignore the Benevolent Society.  I don't know whether they were still doing their thing in the 1920s?  I have permission to view/access their records.  J
P.S.  I've remembered I also had a relative (great-uncle) who was placed in the Boys Home at Westmead - so I'll have to follow that up as well. 
P.P.S.  The Renwick records are at the State/Mitchell library. 

Online mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
The infants home is in Ashfield.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
I'm feeling really silly!   I already have an enquiry en train with that institution regarding the Foundling Hospital to do with the birth of the mother of these children in 1876.  I didn't realise the Foundling Hospital was under that umbrella until I checked your link.   I'll will ask them to put a new enquiry on the end of their queue for me regarding these children.  J.  (and thank you). 

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
The Sisters of St Joseph (brown variety) used to run an orphanage in the Crows Nest area somewhere.  My Dad used to tell me he was regularly sent there with a bag of fruit or veges, from their greengrocer shop which was at North Sydney.  That would be a few years prior to 1921.

If they were orphans, the authorities were probably not particularly fussed about where they sent them  :(  :(  :(
If it was a largish family they may not have all gone to the same place, either.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 04:18 BST (UK) »
I hadn't considered that the children may have been separated.  The range of ages would have been from a couple of months to about 14 years old so I guess that increases the likelihood of separation.
The possible father of the youngest children supposedly put the children in an orphanage and then "went bush" living rough in a humpy out the back of Liverpool/Bankstown.  There had been no marriage and the father/s of the children not certain.   J    Hopefully, more information later.