Author Topic: Dumble marriage  (Read 1558 times)

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dumble marriage
« on: Tuesday 29 August 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Looking for a marriage for William Dumble and Nancy / Agnes Storar. William b. 1833  Berwick on Tweed . Nancy b. Spittal 1835. Both listed in 1851 censuses as single. First born child  Alexander born in Berwick on Tweed 1855 . They might not have married but Nancy/ Agnes died in 1880. Her birth is registered as Nancy Storar her death as Agnes Dumble
Any help appreciated
Thanks Heather

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dumble marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
I suppose it's possible, in view of their location - that the couple nipped over the Scottish border and had an 'irregular' marriage at somewhere like 'Coldstream' or 'Lamberton Toll' or other similar place.

Civil Registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855 --- hence formal registration wouldn't be needed and if that happened you would need someone, who possibly has access to the registers for these places.

On the other hand -- as you say -- they may not have married. Both those surnames can be subject to mis-transcriptions as well!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
I have checked the two booklets of Irregular Border Marriages published by the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society www.ndfhs.org.uk and could not see this particular marriage. The booklets include only a small proportion of the irregular marriages that actually took place.

In case there is a family connection, there is a marriage on 30 Jan 1847, Lamberton Toll, James Moffat, mason, to Mary Storar, 2nd Dau of David Storar, master mariner, all of Spittal.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
SelDen -- how interesting that the register confirms the Mary Storar to be the SECOND daughter of her father -- normally such useful details only appeared in registers compliled by followers of clerics like William Dade -- and they didn't last for very long either.

Heather you may want to explore David Storar, just in case he may also be Agnes/Nancy's father.
Places of interest;

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
David Storar is in fact Nancy / Agnes's father. I am wondering now if she shamed the family by not being married. I will keep looking
Many thanks
Heather

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
While it is of course possible they did not marry I think it more likely she had an irregular marriage (as did her sister) but that as with so many of these marriages, either no record was ever made or the record did not survive. 

See here for some more information about irregular marriages:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

The information that was recorded was usually minimal, often just the names.

I have assumed you have already checked Scotland's People for a marriage? Nancy/Agnes may also be recorded as Ann etc.

Online 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
Nancy Storer was born 5 Jun 1835 d/o David and Sarah Storer.  Spittal Presbyterian baptisms. However there is a burial of a Nancy Storer 6 Mar 1836, an infant, in Tweedmouth. Hard to tell if this burial is the above Nancy.

David Storar and Sarah Dickeson were married Tynemouth 2 Jun 1816

Only 2 females baptised there in Spittal for this family in my record.  Katherine in 1819 then Nancy.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
I can find no birth registered for the second daughter Mary.  I believe she was b c. 1823 . The first born was a son in 1819.  First born daughter Katherine and Nancy third born daughter I have found. It seems strange that Mary's marriage has been recorded but not her birth. Thanks for all the help

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me if you already know this - but civil registration of births, marriages and deaths only commenced in England and Wales on 1 July 1837 -- for events prior to that date you are looking at Parish Registers -- and in this case a baptism.

There is a baptism for a Mary Storrar, daughter of D* Storrar and Sarah, abode Tweedmouth on 7th June 1823 -- birth date IS given in this case as 1 June 1823. This ocurred at the United Presbyterian Chapel, Chapel St, Berwick.
Places of interest;