Author Topic: Parents of William John Crowe, Leck, Macosquin.  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Crillywowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William John Crowe, Leck, Macosquin.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
You people certainly have been busy and obviously much more successful with the various websites than I and I thank you for that. I had been told that great grandfather William John had had 12 children and whilst I new most of their identities this information has thrown up a few surprises. Interesting that we have two called William James, the second of which is buried in the family grave at Killaig on 11th December1918 aged 37. Perhaps the first died as an infant. Then there is Mary Eliza. I had not previously heard of her. A couple of questions still bother me. Firstly, why can I not get a look at the birth cert of William John - might it be because they are too early ie. not yet on line? one of the websites said that the year of birth had to be after 1945. And then there's William John's date of birth. His gravestone says he died in 1917 aged 77. Finally, the last burial in the family grave is that of George Albert Long who died 2nd May 1991. What was his relationship to great grandfather? I remember him being a tall dark haired man very much in the mold of the senior Crowe men. Could he have been a grandson and if so who was his mother?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
You people certainly have been busy and obviously much more successful with the various websites than I and I thank you for that.
The Killaig baptism are not available online as far as I know.

Firstly, why can I not get a look at the birth cert of William John - might it be because they are too early ie. not yet on line? one of the websites said that the year of birth had to be after 1945.
I think you might be a bit confused? Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate. Registrations of deaths and Catholic marriages also from 1864 but non-Catholic marriages (including Registry Office) from 1845.

This transcription says George Albert long died 2 May 1981- my own transcription is downstairs so I haven't checked it yet.
http://colerainefhs.org.uk/?page_id=124301&paged=3
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Crillywowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Well spotted 'dathai'! Catherine Crowe did indeed marry James Gage McNeill and his sister Margaret Morrison McNeill married John Crowe, my grandfather, though I don't think that I have a date for that marraige.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Well spotted 'dathai'! Catherine Crowe did indeed marry James Gage McNeill and his sister Margaret Morrison McNeill married John Crowe, my grandfather, though I don't think that I have a date for that marraige.

John Crowe married Margaret Morrison McNeill in 1921-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09215/5333584.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Crillywowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 September 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
I'm nearing the end of my search. It has been most interesting and enlightening and I thank all of you who have contributed to making it so. However, there are still a few questions that remain unanswered. Why was George Albert Long buried in a Crowe grave. I suspect the answer to that lies in finding out the identity of his mother. And then, the question that was uppermost in my mind- the two Crowe graves which lie side by side at Killaig- could it be that the James Crowe in the earlier grave is the father of William John? Or perhaps the records to prove or disprove that don't exist.