Author Topic: Windows 7 - Startup Repair  (Read 1649 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windows 7 - Startup Repair
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
I'm having a major problem with my Win7 X 64 bit computer.  It started fine in the morning ( 2 weeks ago) when I turned it on in the afternoon it would not start.  I got the following message and lots of other messages.

Problem signature:
Problem Event name : StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21201006
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 10
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
POS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I have googled and found that numerous people have had the same and various connected problems. Also have been on the Microsoft website trying to find a solution - although a number of fixes have been suggested - nothing has worked for me.
I have the CD/DVD which came with this computer - however when I place it in the CD/DVD drive it will not load.
Have tried System Restore - without success.  Unable to restore to any point.

Would appreciate some help if at all possible.  Posting this message from my WinXP - which has hardly given me any problems (fingers crossed it keeps going).

Sarra

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 - Startup Repair
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
You could create a bootable disc on a USB & load W7 that way.
I'm assuming you can't get into safe mode.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
I think to load from the CD/DVD the computer needs to read from that drive before it tries to read from the hard drive (which is the one with errors).  There should be something in the bios settings I think to do with boot order - how to get in to bios settings varies by computer so either google it from your trusty XP or else watch the Win7 one as it boots and hope you spot a message (bottom left of screen) which says something along the lines of "press F2 to enter settings" (going from memory here).  Hit (gently!) the appropriate key repeatedly to interrupt the boot sequence.  You'll be presented with a basic DOS screen which you navigate using the keyboard.  You need to change the boot order to look at the optical (CD/DVD) drive before any of the hard drives.  If you can manage to do this you might find that if you place the disc in the drive and reboot, you can reinstall/repair from your CD/DVD.

If the boot order already has optical before hard drive then there's something else going on - perhaps some malware or else the optical drive might have failed.

I find the moneysavingexpert techie stuff forum (google it if unfamiliar) very useful for computer issues.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
You could create a bootable disc on a USB & load W7 that way.
I'm assuming you can't get into safe mode.
Hi Jim1, I don't think I can make a disc on a USB - because I'm on WinXp and I would need one for Win 7 - 64 bit. I read somewhere that you could burn a CD/DVD - however you need to make it on a computer compatible with the one you use it on..

I'm able to get to Safe Mode - in a fashion - but it keeps launching Startup Repair.

Thanks....Sarra

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 07:01 BST (UK) »
.  Hit (gently!) the appropriate key repeatedly to interrupt the boot sequence. 

If the boot order already has optical before hard drive then there's something else going on - perhaps some malware or else the optical drive might have failed.

I find the moneysavingexpert techie stuff forum (google it if unfamiliar) very useful for computer issues.

Jane :-)
Hi Jane,
I laughted "Hit gently" I've been thumping the F2 - F8 keys.

It's possible the Optical Drive has failed - I read a post where some guy had this problem - plus all the others that I'm having.

I think I have googled  and read all the post by the moneysavingexperts - it's doing my head no good.

Thanks....Sarra

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
Are you trying a Disc after you try to Boot Up?

Maybe try putting Disc in, then Boot Up and see if it picks up Disc then??  Just a thought!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, I googled the error code and saw that other people have had the same problem (with different causes). The fixes I've seen seem to be very technical and involve step-by-step analysis of the specific cause of the problem and correcting it.

Unless you manage to get an 'automatic fix' from the DVD or the Windows repair, you might want to consider having the problem identified and repaired by a local PC-service company. They normally have diagnostic tools for this.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
Are you trying a Disc after you try to Boot Up?

Maybe try putting Disc in, then Boot Up and see if it picks up Disc then??  Just a thought!
Thanks for your thoughts.  I think I have tried both ways - without success. :(

Sarra

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 17 04:56 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, I googled the error code and saw that other people have had the same problem (with different causes). The fixes I've seen seem to be very technical and involve step-by-step analysis of the specific cause of the problem and correcting it.

Unless you manage to get an 'automatic fix' from the DVD or the Windows repair, you might want to consider having the problem identified and repaired by a local PC-service company. They normally have diagnostic tools for this.

Mike
Mike, I agree with what you are saying.  As you say you have googled my problem- and others have had the same problem.  People have suggested fixes for it, it has worked for some people and not others like myself.
This was a problem with Windows 7 going back years.  I'm only glad that I did not transfer all my family history on to Windows 7.
Will just have to wait until a family member who has knowledge of computers has time to look at this computer.
I'm trying to help myself however this is beyond my capabilities.

Thank for your reply.
Sarra