Author Topic: Royal Navy: Lieutenant after 1809 desertion?  (Read 533 times)

Offline Ruthmez

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Navy: Lieutenant after 1809 desertion?
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
I originally posted this to the Armed Forces Resources Board in error.  My apologies to the moderators...

I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of Royal Navy records pertaining to my ancestor James Wilson, baptized at Brixham, Devon in 1787. 

His children's baptism records (beginning in 1819) identify him as 'Lieutenant, R.N.'.  In a notice in the Portsmouth Times and Naval Gazette of 1871, his eldest daughter is referred to as 'the daughter of a deceased lieutenant R.N. who was at Trafalgar'.

National Archives data base of men who served at Trafalgar identifies James Wilson, age 20, born Portsmouth, Ordinary Seaman, serving on HMS Tonnant.  Allotment Declarations at findmypast for 1802/3 have James Wilson, Landsman, on Tonnant, but deserting in March 1809.

I can find no passing certificate or other official documentation of him as a Lieutenant.  However in the 1861 Census his widow is a Naval Pensioner and in 1871 another daughter is on the Compassionate List.  I believe he died between 1833 and 1838.  His father had also been a Lieutenant in the Navy, according to the father's death certificate.

Could a man who deserted in 1809 have subsequently re-enlisted and become a lieutenant? 

Thanks in advance for any insights or comments,
Marna

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Navy: Lieutenant after 1809 desertion?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Trafalger medal rolls show 14 James Wilson's, none were officers.

Lists of RN officers killed at Trafalger show no one of that name, likewise list of officers wounded show the same result.

The RN at that time took a dim view of deserters, had he been recaptured it would have resulted in a flogging. For desertion it would have been severe, possibly fatal.

He could have re enlisted under an assumed name but there would always be the chance of recognition.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Ruthmez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, John.

Your response re the Navy's attitude toward desertion makes it hard to reconcile the 1809 desertion of the James Wilson who was an Ordinary seaman on Tonnant at Trafalgar with a later career as Lieutenant.

Even though that James Wilson's birthdate and place of birth suggest he could be my ancestor, because my James' widow and daughter received naval pensions after his death, and because he was identified as 'Lieutenant R.N.' in civilian records during his lifetime, I may have to conclude that Ordinary Seaman James was NOT my man.

I appreciate your help,
Marna

Offline Ruthmez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again John,

I have just followed up on info in your reply to my posting by searching for Trafalgar Medal Rolls and discovering the www.forces-war-records.co.uk/ site. 

There were two James Wilsons on HMS Tonnant at Trafalgar!  One was an Ordinary Seaman whose birth info is consistent with my ancestor.  The other was the Landsman whose Allotment Declaration says he deserted in 1809.

Even if I am unable to delve further into my James' career, thanks to you my mystery is solved.

many thanks,
Marna

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Hi Marna, it was by no means common but there were instances of seamen rising through the ranks in the navy. So ordinary seaman Wilson may have been one of them.

Perhaps he showed exceptional abilities, could read and write, any number of things could have brought him to the attention of his superiors and promotion.

Good luck with your search.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)