Author Topic: Edward Wambsley Puzzle  (Read 643 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edward Wambsley Puzzle
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone can help me with a little puzzle surrounding the first husband of my ancestor Alice Amis.

Alice married Edward Wambsley of Faversham on 6 December 1720 at Faversham by Licence [dated 13 January 1720]

Alice married for a second time in 1729 to Thomas Rigden (himself a widower)

"Thomas Rigden, widower, and Alice Wamsley, widow, both of Faversham, at Faversham"

Again the marriage took place by Licence and this was dated 27 June 1729

So Edward Wamsley/Wambsley must have died between 1720 and 1729.

The only death of an Edward Wambsley I can find in that period is in 1727 when there is a burial for an Edward Wambsley of Faversham.

Edward Wambsley left a Will dated 1726 and Proved in 1727 but in this he names his wife as Elizabeth.

If Edward married Alice Amis in 1720, and then she married Thomas Rigden in 1729 (as Alice Walmsey) then who is Elizabeth and where does she fit in? Could there be another Edward who was married to Elizabeth?

Alternatively is anyone able to find another death/burial for Edward between 1720 and 1729?

Many thanks

Matt

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Wambsley Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
There is this marriage from FamilySearch

Name   Edward Wambseley
Spouse's Name   Elizabeth Humer
Event Date   03 Apr 1690
Event Place   Saint Alphege, Canterbury,Kent,England

Could that be your Edward's parents and the death you've found be his? Mind you that doesn't help as I can't find a death for your Edward!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Wambsley Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
There is this marriage from FamilySearch

Name   Edward Wambseley
Spouse's Name   Elizabeth Humer
Event Date   03 Apr 1690
Event Place   Saint Alphege, Canterbury,Kent,England

Could that be your Edward's parents and the death you've found be his? Mind you that doesn't help as I can't find a death for your Edward!

Hiya

I think u could be right there, although I'd have to look into this one more. Edward isn't my ancestor himself but it would be useful to know when he died.

Of course it is possible, I suppose, that when Alice married Thomas Rigden, Edward wasn't dead. They married by licence and if they wanted to marry quickly then that would certainly be the way.

I do know that Edward and Alice had three children so perhaps one of them left a Will which will help.

As I say it's a puzzle. Wambsley or Wamsley is a rather unusual name so you'd think it would be easy to find Edward. Yes it's been easy to find him (the only times I've found the name is in the marriage licences, wills, and burials)  but the info doesn't match lol.

Perhaps if I check the Will again to see if any children are named that will help. If they are the same children as born to Edward and Alice then it could be that it's the same Edward.

It would not be the first time I've found a married pair of my ancestors both married to someone else at the same time!

Matt