Author Topic: Look up request Guernsey (St Peter Port?) SYMES  (Read 3136 times)

Offline LizzieS1980

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request Guernsey (St Peter Port?) SYMES
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is quite random but I wonder if anyone can help.

My grandpa, Ronald John Sarchet was born in St Peter Port.

On March 29th 1945, he married Margaret Symes (who I think was also from St Peter Port). I'm unsure why (evacuation I guess?) but they married in Coventry.

Fast forward five years and my grandpa had met my dad's mum, was living with her and had had my dad. My dad's mum is not Margaret Symes. No-one ever spoke to my dad or any of his siblings about this first wife, and they only found out about her in their 20s, following a family row. All I know is, despite having a wife & his parents there, my grandpa never returned to live in Guernsey after the war. When my grandpa died, he left an envelope saying 'do not open: to be burnt upon my death'. My dad (also now dead) burnt the envelope. He never explained why (so I don't know how tenuous this is) but he said at the time that he thought it contained information about a child from the first marriage.

Would anyone be able to find out if there's a birth certificate for a child with the parents Ronald John Sarchet (born 09/01/1919) and Margaret Sarchet, nee Symes? It would be between 1945 - 1949 I guess. I'm pretty sure it will have been registered in St Peter Port.

I also wonder if anyone can find anything else out about Margaret Symes' family. My grandpa was in the same year and at the same school as Major Jim Symes - I wonder if Margaret was his sister?

Sorry for the long rambling post & thanks very much in advance!

Lizzie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request Guernsey (St Peter Port?) SYMES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie, Welcome to RootsChat

Would anyone be able to find out if there's a birth certificate for a child with the parents Ronald John Sarchet (born 09/01/1919) and Margaret Sarchet, nee Symes? It would be between 1945 - 1949 I guess. I'm pretty sure it will have been registered in St Peter Port.

I am sorry but we can not help you out with the request because we do not allow the research of living folk, RootsChat is for the research of our Ancestors.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

We have just received an email regarding your post I am just checking that you are still picking up your email notifications.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Take a look at

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=851275.msg7189986#msg7189986

Somebody else has an interest in Ronald
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)