Author Topic: 1851 Census for Alexander Maule  (Read 9024 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census for Alexander Maule
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 September 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Family trees shows a third child for them. A John Maule Black 1836 - 39. Buried at the Seaforth Old Burying Ground, Simon's Town, Western Cape, South Africa.

Some burials here for the family I think www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=2477429&GSfn=&GSln=black

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 September 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

And here's the response from Scotlandspeople. My next question is will I need to pay someone to look up the records?

Thank you for your recent email regarding a note in the margin of the marriage record for John Black in 1825.

As there was no set format to record details pre 1855 you never know what you are going to see until you view the actual entry!

There were no correction pages in those days so it is difficult to say if it is an amendment to the father's forename. It is practically impossible to guess why the church elder did this as it is unusual for this to happen especially as the marriage took place at South Leith in 1825 and the added details look to have been recorded in 1840 with a reference to the parish of Tulliallan.
The paragraph does end ' See Minute of Sess(ion)1st December 1840.

This could refer to minutes of a meeting that was recorded in 1840 by the Session Clerk at Tulliallan. We call these records Kirk Session Records and they are available to view in the search rooms at Scotlandspeople but are not yet available online. However, they are in the process of being digitised and will be available on our website in the future. It may be that there is information held in these records that could help you.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Would certainly need a personal look up, either someone could do it for you or a paid researcher.

Some details here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F233821

Monica

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 September 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I contacted scotlandspeople again on the slight chance they would have someone who might (even if this was a paid service) look it up for me. This is their response. Ill try a lookup request and if that's not able to gbe done Ill employ a researcher.

Although the staff here at the Scotlandspeople centre do not have the time to undertake family history research you can employ a genealogist if you wish.

They will require a fee and as there's no name index to the Kirk Session records it can take a bit time to search them. There is also the possibility that they will not find anything.

We are hoping that these records will be available to view on our website sometime next year but should you want to employ a genealogist you can find a list of these genealogists at www.asgra.co.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 September 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
SP have been talking for some time about making the Kirk records available online for some years... I am sure it must be a massive job to undertake as these things can be.

Probably best to enquire what the cost would be to look up this info for you by an experienced researcher. They will have experience of these records and know how to work through them for a better chance of finding something hopefully.

Monica

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 September 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Good news! When I asked someone from Scotlandspeople (who had responded to me previously) I got the earlier response I posted. A couple of days before I emailed the person above I lodged the same question through Scotlandspeople general email desk and got this (Ive just placed an order for it) -

Thank you for your enquiry of 13 September concerning an annotation on the record of marriage for Ann Maule and John Black which refers to an entry in Kirk Session minutes dated 1 December 1840.

This annotation relates to the parish of South Leith Kirk Session minutes rather than those of Tulliallan.

I have located an entry in Edinburgh, South Leith Kirk Session Minutes, reference CH2/716/35, pages 90-91. The entry, dated 1 December 1840, notes that Ann Maule or Black had requested an extract of her marriage and found that it had been erroneously recorded in the register that her father’s name was Thomas instead of John, and of Leith instead of Kincardine. The Clerk had then inserted the correction in the margin of the register and given a corrected extract. It also notes that Ann Maule had also given the Clerk a letter requesting that the Session allow him to register the births of her two children by her lawful husband, John Black, in the books of this parish where she was married, although they were born in South America (Africa).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 22 September 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
How brilliant to have it all confirmed this way! Great news  :)

Monica

Offline gayja840

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am also linked in to these Maule and I believe that both Robert and Alex in the 1851 census are the children of Alex Maule and Margaret Hall. also it seems that Alex is living with his 78 year old grandmother in the 1861 census. His grandmother being Agnes (Annie) Hall (maiden name Moore). Her death cert (aged 93 in 1872) shows she was the illegit child of Allan Moore, Owner of a Salt Pan and Mary Martin formerly Drysdale. She is also shown in the 1841 census as Anne Hall by then a widow. I hope this links in with your stuff a bit. I would love for this to open up some connections. Kind regards, Jason

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

I've found the Hall records as well. Quite an interesting family. Not many have looked at the Halls so I'm interested to see what you have found. I've got a bunch of baptism, marriage and death records.