Author Topic: Rookwood Catholic Cemetery, Sydney Joseph M Harrison  (Read 581 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Rookwood Catholic Cemetery, Sydney Joseph M Harrison
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 September 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
"Australian Citizenship" did not formally exist until 1949. (Statute of Westminister not taken up in Australia until 1940s, and fall of British Empire post WWII etc for the Dominions to separate 'citizenship' into 'nationality' etc).

To be eligible to enrol in NSW he simply needed to reside at the address (there would be a qualifying period of perhaps 3 or 6 months, I don't have my trusty 'cheatsheet' book at hand), be aged 21 years or more and to be a British Subject.  He could not be an undischarged bankrupt, or in gaol for a serious crime...

JM
DO NOT COPY PASTE ANY OF MY POSTS TO ANY OTHER FORUM. I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR ANY OF MY POSTS TO BE SHARED WITH OTHER FORUMS.
 Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.    
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk         
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 September 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Update !!!

Today,I have received the death certificate for Joseph M Harrison...

It IS my grandfather, definitely. Names of parents are bang on,as is occupation for his father, and his place of birth ( York, England )

I did not realise that my grandmother was deserted so soon after my father's birth in 1920.This may explain a lot about dad,I believe he had a troubled youth, until he joined the army at 18 years old.

I want to thank you all for your input. Without it, I would not have been able to climb a brickwall, that has  been bugging me for almost 20 years.My dad , gran and aunties,all gone now,never knew

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Excellent news Jeannie.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 September 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, Excellent news  :)

JM
DO NOT COPY PASTE ANY OF MY POSTS TO ANY OTHER FORUM. I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR ANY OF MY POSTS TO BE SHARED WITH OTHER FORUMS.
 Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.    
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk         
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 September 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for letting us know.  It's a pleasure to be able to help, especially in brick-wall dismantling.  ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk