Author Topic: Hilltoune in New Kilpatrick.  (Read 3042 times)

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hilltoune in New Kilpatrick.
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 03:40 BST (UK) »
The name Hilltoune or Hilltoun is mentioned in birth records of some members of the Peter Family in early 1700's.  I don't know if it refers to a farm or a town.  I note there is a Hilton, which might be a spelling variation.  I would be grateful for any information. thank you.   

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hilltoune in New Kilpatrick.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
It was a farm just west of Mugdock Castle next to the Craigallion Estate held by Malcom Graham. 

Hilltoun/Hiltoun/Hillton/Hilton were used during different times and you can see this on the maps in the following link. http://maps.nls.uk/counties/#dumbartonshire  Today it would have been just off the A809 SE of Carbeth off the Cuilts Road.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don.  That does help me.  The link to the extensive series of maps will be very useful.  I am familiar with some of these maps but others are new to me. The Peters are frustrating me as we know they farmed at Boclair and Baljafray and also have a rent book mentioning who paid rent at Boclair between 1730-1750, but the various christian name are so common in the family that linkage to the rentees and other Peters in the early 1700's is proving just about impossible.
Many thanks
Cec

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
Baljaffray I know well a cousin of mine (Pauls) have been on (south) Baljaffray Farm since 1893.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 08:28 BST (UK) »
Don, the world is indeed small!  I still have work to do on the Baljaffray Farm and Peter connection and if an appropriate matter arises I will get back to you. 

Dec