Author Topic: British Army Pension Records - What do the different forms mean?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Army Pension Records - What do the different forms mean?
« on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My grandfather seems to have signed up for Short Service, 90 Days' Emergency Service and the Territorial army - all in within 2 years (1920 to 1922)! Why would he have done this and what is the difference?

He appears to have bought himself out from his short service after 154 days (20 pounds was the charge) but then rejoined using the 90 Days' Emergency form. I don't understand this.

Included in his records are also communications between the  War Office and Royal Chelsea Hospital.  His records are requested by the Royal Chelsea Hospital from the War Department in 1937. They ask for a form ED16. Any idea what this is? I think it might have something to do with employment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Liz

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Pension Records - What do the different forms mean?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:30 BST (UK) »

Guessing but it looks as if he signed up into something called the Defence Force, check here and let us know if it looks as if it fits from the dates.http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/defence-force-1921/

May be that we need to see the documents but what is the context in which they ask for the form ED 16 (it is now 80 years ago so the chances of identfying it are slim!)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD

The timing fits in perfectly with the Defence Force. It appears that my grandfather signed up 4 days after the Prime Minister's announcement. This really clarifies his thinking to me. Thank you!

As for the ED16 form, I have attached part of the memo attached to his records. It mentions the Ministry of Labour. Something to do with employment?

Liz

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Looks like a sequence:

Min of Labour writes to the army in 1921 on a form ED 16 perhaps confirming his employment skills.
ED 16 goes in his army records
1937 Royal Hospital Chelsea (they administered all army pensions not just in-pensioners) need the info for something relating to his pension and ask the army for it.  It may be confirmation of the extra period of service.
Army records send it to the pension folk leaving just this record in his documents. 

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks!